Monday, July 10, 2023

Classic Oven Roasted Beef

 
One of my favorite recipes for roast beef is my own Slow Cooker Roast Beef with Red-eye Gravy. It’s always flavorful and delicious, not to mention fork tender. It’s not exaggeration to say that it cuts like butter. Yesterday, however, I had such a craving for slices of rare roast beef, similar to what you would get at a Carvery. I wanted something similar to the "Sunday Roasts" that we used to get on Sunday afternoons at the local pub when we were living in England. You could get a plate of food that would carry you into the middle of the following week, so laden it was with beef, Yorkshire pudding, two veg, and 2 to 3 kinds of potatoes. The British may not have their own cuisine, but thumbs up to that Sunday roast.

Here’s a recipe that I found that suited me quite well. It was wonderful to be able to use fresh herbs from my garden in coating the outside, and it did give the beef a wonderful flavor. French dip sandwiches are in my future!

Classic Oven Roasted Beef

From healthy-delicious.com

3 cloves garlic minced

1 T. finely chopped Melissa’s fresh rosemary

1 T. finely chopped fresh thyme

2 t. kosher salt

2 t. freshly ground black pepper

¼ c. olive oil

3 pound rump roast

 Remove the rump roast from the refrigerator 1-2 hours before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature.

 Preheat your oven to 375°F.

 In a small bowl (or mini food processor, as I did), combine the garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in the olive oil until well combined. Let sit for 5-10 minutes so the herbs soften and the oil takes on their flavor.

 Rub the herb mixture all over roast; make sure it’s completely covered.

 Place roast in a small roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes to brown the outside.

 Reduce the oven temperature to 225°F and continue cooking for 1½ to 2 hours or until an internal temperature reads 135° - 150°F, depending on your desired level of doneness.

Remove the roast from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let the roast rest for 15-30 minutes before serving.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I have rarely had an oven-roasted piece of beef, and I'd love some of yours! Looks like a great recipe, especially with those fresh herbs.

Marie Smith said...

Looks delicious, as always!

Pinky said...

Oh YUMMMM!!! I will make this in the all. I can hardly wait love roast beef.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Fall is a good idea, Pinky. I chose one of the hottest days of the year.