Monday, July 24, 2023

Prince William’s Spaghetti Bolognaise

 
Have you ever wondered how the Princess of Wales manages to stay so thin, or, for that matter how the entirety of the royal family retain their youthful figures? I have the answer: the cuisine. I recently came across a recipe for Prince William’s bolognaise sauce, the one that he used to woo the former Kate Middleton. It was unique to my experience as it contained both wine and milk, as well as nutmeg. Over the weekend, I made the sauce, and what I learned was that, despite the wine, milk, and nutmeg, what it didn’t contain was flavor. It was all right, I suppose, but nothing to write home about, and you probably wouldn’t dream of asking for seconds. I will say that I loved the additions of the vegetables (that I sometimes add, sometimes don’t), as well as the wine and milk; the texture was lovely. I’m also well aware that the Royal Family does not indulge in garlic in any form, and I understand that, and consequently was willing to forego that for the sake of experimentation. Ultimately, though, I opted for taste. To HRH’s recipe I added:

 ¼ t. Montreal Steak seasoning

½ t. dried basil

1 t. Italian seasoning

1 T. Melissa’s minced garlic

 With these additions, it was downright tasty. Because I tasted throughout the three-hour simmer time, I ended up not adding these until the final hour. So, if you would like to try Prince William‘s recipe, as is, knowing that if you don’t care for it, all is not lost, give it a go.

Prince William’s Spaghetti Bolognaise

As seen on Women&Home.com

(Serves four)

Ingredients:

1 T. olive oil

1 T. (30g) butter

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 carrot, scrubbed and chopped

2 sticks of celery, chopped

12 oz. (350g) best quality lean beef

8 oz. (250ml) dry white wine

4 oz. (120ml) milk

Pinch of nutmeg, freshly ground

1 14.5-oz. can (400g) Italian chopped tomatoes

1 t. tomato purée

8 oz. (250g) spaghetti or bucatini

1/4 c. (50g) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

2 T. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper

 Method:

To make the sauce, heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat until just softened, then add the carrot and celery and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring.

 Use a fork to crumble the mince and add that to the pan, stirring to mix all together. Cook until the meat is no longer pink but do not let it brown. Pour in the wine and continue cooking until it has all evaporated. Then turn down the heat and stir in the milk and nutmeg, and cook over a medium heat until the milk has evaporated. Stir through the tomatoes and purée then season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer very, very gently, uncovered, for about three hours, stirring from time to time.

 When your sauce is ready, bring a big pot of water to the boil and add a teaspoon of salt. Add the pasta to the water, stir well with a wooden spoon and cook as per the packet instructions. Drain well. Divide the pasta between four bowls and add the hot sauce to each serving. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve the Parmesan in a small dish.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

6 comments:

Gina said...

I really love the addition of finely chopped veggies to dishes such as these, but I will never ever give up my garlic and it makes me pity them...and that being said, this looks suspiciously like the sauce my mother used to cook,

Donna said...

I make this often...delicious!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

What an interesting story! I did not know that they stay clear of garlic, but I get it. Your additions sound perfect.

Marie Smith said...

Milk is a new one for me. Interesting!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love bolognese, so i will def be trying this recipe!! YUM! thanks

Denise said...

Hi Pattie,

This recipe looks quite good with the additions you've made. I knew that traditional bolognese had milk in it but didn't know it had wine as well. This looks really tasty!

I, too, wondered how Kate kept her lovely figure. I'm quite a fan of her -- so elegant. Life would be a bit bland without ever having garlic, wouldn't it? Thanks for sharing this recipe and have a great week!

Denise at Forest Manor