Tuesday, July 11, 2023

The Zen of Washing Dishes

 
I know people who will not buy certain kitchen items, even if they would make their lives much easier, simply because these items are not dishwasher safe. On one hand, I completely understand that. Households can be frantic, stressful, and exhausting. You don’t want that. You want to be able to throw everything into the dishwasher, turn it on, and spend the rest of the evening with your family. On the other hand, I think washing dishes by hand is exactly what many people need. There is a Zen in dish washing. The fragrance of the dish washing liquid, the silky smoothness of the bubbles, the meditative, repetitive action of washing, and the relaxing warmth of the water are all things that your life craves.

This should become a daily practice in your home even if it’s only washing one item. Just fill the sink partway, but allow yourself this moment. One thing that you are certainly assured of is that if you’re doing dishes by hand, you are probably going to be doing them alone. People tend to flee when something like this is needed. But instead of looking at it as a negative, embrace the alone time. Use the actions to calm your brain, to put a mental end on your frantic day. Use this as a nice segue to relaxation and eventual sleep.

   Having the proper tools is tantamount, so find a dish washing liquid with a fragrance that you love. I am a fan of citrus, so this is one of my favorites. If you prefer floral, you might try this one. If warm woodsy is your thing, try this.  Get some environmentally friendly sponges, some real dish cloths (don’t use the disposable kind for this task), and really feel what you’re doing. Wash flat pieces with slow, circular motions, and look at the interweaving patterns as you do so. Be present. If you make this a part of your daily life, you’d be surprised how much more relaxed you feel at day’s end, and how much better you sleep.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

What a great post! Love the zen which comes from washing dishes! A task which many hate but can be pleasant. I find tidying up after a family meal is a great time to talk to a helper as you clean up together. Reframing a scenario which many people hate makes it more pleasant for all. Thanks for the reminder!

Linda said...

I agree with you on the Zen thing. I love to wash my special and vintage glasses and plates (something I do a couple times a year) and place them back all shiny and clean. Even though they are behind glass I know they are clean! I have to wear gloves when I use any dish washing soap, otherwise my already weak nails become very brittle.

Robin said...

I have a large set of Franciscan Ware that I inherited from my mother. I love to wash those dished by hand. They sparkle and shine when they are rinsed. I don't mind washing them alone because then I know they won't get broken by a less than careful helper.

Anonymous said...

I do not hate to wash dishes, I find it satisfying. It’s wonderful if someone helps and dries…time to talk and share. I’m not a fan of my dishwasher, it’s noisy and hot….and with only the two of us, it just easier to hand wash. After a large gathering, I enjoy putting all my ‘fancy’ tableware away. I also don’t mind ironing, I find it therapeutic. I never thought about Zen… I guess I am ‘ Zen - like’….didn’t even know it. Thanks for a cute post and some recommendations on dish soaps. Happy Day to you. xo, V.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Interesting idea but I'm not sure I am into it. I've decided to wash my dishes by hand lately just to be more efficient in washing and putting away dishes for two. Do I love it ? No- but you've given me something to think about.

Donna said...

Well, I use to have to hand wash dishes for years in my youth...no more. I love my Bosch dishwasher. I'd rather read a book to find my zen...lol
And I'll let you know when I post the oatmeal recipe on my cooking blog! Thanks for asking about it!
hugs
Donna