Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookies

Where do I begin to describe the lusciousness of these wonderful cookies?  Do you like chocolate?  Yeah, me too.  How about a malt?  A chocolate malt?  Yep.  Well, now try combining the two, the deliciousness of a densely chocolate cookie with a filling creamily reminiscent of the richest, thickest chocolate malt you've ever tasted.  Are you with me? 


These are sensational! The cookie alone is well worth the making for its crisp, chocolaty goodness, but when you add that chocolate malt filling they are heaven. My youngest son's eyes rolled back into his head with ecstasy when he tasted one. "Where did you get these?" he asked. When I told him I'd made them he couldn't believe it. "It's like a cookie with mousse in the middle," he said. True.


This recipe is from that cookie Bible, Martha Stewart's Cookies.  Following the directions exactly they came out a bit bigger than is comfortable for a cookie, I think, so next time (and there will be a next time) I'm going to make them a bit smaller so they're not quite so daunting. I think I'll also make some smaller plain cookies and dust them with powdered sugar, and I plan on using this filling the next time I make chocolate whoopie pies.  Whatever you decide to do, DO decide to make these.  You'll be queen of the cookie exchange with this one!

Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookies
(Printable Recipe)
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

FOR THE COOKIES

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 cup plain malted milk powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup creme fraiche (I used sour cream)
3 tablespoons hot water

FOR THE FILLING

10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup plain malted milk powder
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Make cookies:

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt. With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg, creme fraiche, and hot water. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture.

Space tablespoon-size balls of dough 3 1/2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until flat and just firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on parchment on wire racks.

Making filling:

Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring. Let cool. With an electric mixer, beat malted milk powder and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth. Gradually mix in half-and-half, chocolate mixture, and vanilla. Refrigerate, covered, until thick, about 30 minutes. Mix on high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Assemble cookies:

Spread a heaping tablespoon filling on the bottom of one cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat. Cookies can be refrigerated between layers of parchment in airtight containers up to 3 days.

Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share (Martha Stewart Living Magazine)

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh goodness. I came by to see if you had a tablescape to see tonight, and I found this wonderful recipe. My daughter would LOVE this. I want to make some when she comes home from school over Thanksgiving.

Glad I stopped by!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

U R killin me! I love malt. Not only are these calling my name, they are screaming it, in rhythm and rhyme.

Unknown said...

These cookies look so yummy! I think I might like to try making these!

Jewel Sauls said...

Printed the recipe and will make without fail!!!! Major Yum!!!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, talk about a gourmet cookie. These look fantastic. I don't think I could resist a cookie with such a creamy middle.