Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sweet Potato Pecan Bread



I have been cooking and baking up a storm ever since the month began.  I think I've hit upon the PERFECT cranberry sauce recipe this year -- a new one, so I'm excited about that.  And I've been test-baking things for the bread tray that overflows every year on Thanksgiving Day. 

Since I grow my own sweet potatoes I always like to include a dish or two using them.  While we're on the subject, let me encourage all of you to grow these.  I use containers as I'm an avid patio gardener since it's the only place in our yard that gets a decent amount of sun.  You'll need to buy slips (or grow your own, but buying them is so much easier and gobs faster) and plant them in late June.  I used three square 14" containers that were easy to handle come harvest time.  I simply dragged them into the yard, turned them upside down, dumped out the dirt, and then scooped up the potatoes.


Here's the harvest from just one of the containers I grew.  It's well worth it for the fun and the excitement of the harvest (not to mention the fresher than fresh taste!)

I was in the mood for something sweet today so chose this recipe for Sweet Potato Pecan Bread.  I cut it in half in order to make just one loaf, but once I tasted it I was sorry I hadn't made two.



Redolent with sweet potatoes and pecans, this moist loaf would make a great beginning or ending to any day. Here's the recipe:

SWEET POTATO PECAN BREAD

2 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
(fresh is best but canned will do)
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Glaze*
 
Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the sugar, water, oil, eggs, and sweet potatoes mix good. Add dry ingredients and mix to combine; add pecans and mix well. Divide the dough into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Cool in pans before removing.

Source: Southern Chef in Louisiana



*The original recipe did not call for a glaze, but I thought it enhanced the loaf so I added my own:


1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 T. cream
1/8 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. freshly grated nutmeg

Stir together until thoroughly blended and drizzle onto cooled loaf.





6 comments:

Shannon said...

This looks delicious! The addition of the glaze is a great idea.

Thanks for stopping by Delectalicious! Enjoy the make ahead hot chocolate!

Treat and Trick said...

Looks so moist and delicious dear....Thanks for visiting my site. Have a great weekend...

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Roberta said...

OMG this bread looks so good and just perfect for this time of year...especially since we have to turn the clocks back...yuk! Thanks for sharing, fondly, Roberta
http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

Beth said...

Pattie, Your bread looks and sounds delicious. We enjoy sweet potatoes - baked, mashed, even in pie. I'll have to try this. Yum! Thanks for following, and I am following you back.
Blessings,, Beth

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh Pattie,an absolutely delicious bread !!

My Slice of Heaven said...

Pattie, your sweet potato bread looks so delicious. Your pictures make me want a slice right now! I'll have to try your recipe over the upcoming holidays. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.