Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cozy Cinnamon Waffles with Butter Pecan Sauce

Cozy Cinnamon Waffles with Butter Pecan Sauce
Well, there's good news and bad news with the new recipe I tried this morning, but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

One of my favorite cookbooks is a presentation of the St. Louis Junior League called St. Louis Days St. Louis Nights.  You'll be seeing a lot of it in the future because I have success cooking from this book one recipe after another.  So, I thought, it stood to reason then that the subsequent publication of the [same] Junior League, Meet Us in the Kitchen would be equally good.  (Do you follow my reasoning here?)  Well, so far it hasn't.

But there's good news and bad news.  This morning I decided to try a new waffle recipe that, while on paper sounded very good, in reality was just so-so.  As you can see from the picture above, the waffles were a bit, well, limp.  I for one do not care for limp in the morning, and so decided I would not make this recipe again.  BUT!  The Butter Pecan Sauce was delicious! 

Now in the recipe (shown below) it does have a bit of brandy.  You may question the use of brandy in the morning (as did I), but honestly it served more to enhance the flavor of the sauce than to overwhelm it, and my guess is the potentially negative aspect of the brandy would be offset by the caffeine in the coffee (You DO have coffee, right?).  So trust me when I tell you that I did not find myself stumbling around or slurring my words as the result of this sauce.  I did find it delicious overall, and absolutely wonderful on a scoop of pumpkin ice cream.  Yes, I did have a scoop of ice cream for breakfast, but it was solely for the benefit of the blog. Solely.  I wouldn't lie to you.  My guess is it would be equally yummy on Butter Pecan ice cream (if you happen to like butter pecan ice cream, which I don't, but my husband does and he agreed with me).  So, while I didn't find a great new waffle recipe, I did find a rather elegant sauce for dessert, so all was not lost.

If you would like to try this sauce on waffles, let me just say that in my experience (and it is considerable), you can make wonderful waffle variations using the recipe on the box of Bisquick.  Last month I made delicious pumpkin waffles by simply adding 1/3 cup of solid pack pumpkin and about 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the recipe on the box and the waffles came out the way they should, i.e. NOT limp, and were delicious. So, if you do indeed want "cozy cinnamon waffles" go with the Bisquick recipe and add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  Do it.  It will give you an excuse to try this wonderful sauce.  And then try it on ice cream.  Go ahead, no one is looking.


1 comment:

Sevenbeads said...

I can think of lots of things that sauce would be great with. I've never gone wrong with any dessert sauce on pound cake or ice cream. Looks yummy!