Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cinnamom Rolls a la ABM

I think the best $42 I ever spent was on an automatic bread maker from Wal-Mart.  I never shop at Wal-Mart, but a friend told me of this amazing price on a Sunbeam bread machine and, after reading a plethora of online reviews, I figured it was worth a try.  Boy, was it ever!  I have made any number of successful breads and rolls in this little machine ever since I got it.  (It also makes soup and jams, but I can make a decent soup and jam on my own, so figured I'd use it to do something I don't do well, and that's yeast dough.)

The recipe made two 8" x 8" pans of rolls.  One I froze, the other I baked.

This is how they looked hot from the oven.
I made a simple glaze of powdered sugar, cream, vanilla and cinnamon, and drizzled it all over the top.


Go ahead, take a closer look.  Can't you just smell them?

The month of November is probably my most experimental in baking.  I try all sorts of new recipes to determine just which ones will make the Thanksgiving day cut.  That includes a relaxed breakfast a deux before the craziness of the day's preparations begin.  This year I'm trying to decide between these and the version with pumpkin (yet to be tried).  I'll let you know.

Cinnamon Rolls for the Bread Machine

1 pkg. yeast
1/2 c. water, room temperature
1/2 c. milk, room temperature
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. butter, room temperature
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour

Filling:
2 T. butter softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 T. cinnamon (or to taste)

Add ingredients, according to your machine. Use dough cycle. After dough is done, roll out into a 15' x 9" rectangle on lightly floured board or surface.

Spread the entire rectangle with softened butter. Sprinkle filling mixture evenly over all.

Roll up from long side, cut into even 1" slices and place in buttered 13" x9 " pan or two 8" x 8" pans.  Allow to rise, covered, for about 40 minutes or until doubled in size (see photo). Bake at 375F, 25-30 minutes. (I baked mine at 350, because I used a glass baking pan.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This makes me want to run to my storage unit and grab my old bread machine! Inspirational!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Go get it! I expect to have other, similar recipes that you can try.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Pattie, This looks yummy! Nothing taste as good as home made bread and cinnamon rolls.
Hugs, Sherry

Through My Red Door said...

Well you certainly know how to get my attention!
Cinnamon rolls are my favorite and these have me tempted to go out and get a bread machine myself. Yeast has always intimidated me!

Thanks for visiting me, I'm going to follow you!
Sheila

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Pattie-
These look absoulutely delish! I now know I can use my bread maker for more than a loaf of bread. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Someone who is about to go on a diet should not be looking at a cinnamon roll recipe when they love those things. Yours looks really good. I've had a bread machine for years and have always wondered why so many people turn their noses at the thought of using them. As you and I know, they make bread and dough making so much easier. Thanks for passing along your recipe.