Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rum Balls


After nearly a week of Thanksgiving prep, I was ready to be completely self-indulgent and make myself a cookie.  Not that I regret one moment that I put into making the day both delicious and lovely (Even nature cooperated with the perfect snow - blizzard-like for about ten minutes with accumulation only on the grass.), but to be perfectly frank, if I see another pumpkin recipe, of any kind, I think I'll scream.  No, I wanted something easy and rich and delicious and CHOCOLATE! So while paging through Martha's Cookies book I spotted a recipe that filled the bill in all categories. It was everything I'd hoped for, plus... booze! These are SO GOOD!  The recipe calls for them to be rolled in sanding sugar, but I also used confectioners' sugar and Dutch process cocoa.  Personally, I liked those rolled in the cocoa the best.

These decadent little morsels are reminiscent of those I used to get at AndrĂ©’s Confiserie Suisse when it was still in St. Louis. Gosh, I miss that place!

Here's a little step-by-step photo.

RUM BALLS
From Martha Stewart's Cookies

Vegetable oil cooking spray
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum
Coarse sanding sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Melt butter and chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture, then fold in flour. Pour batter into prepared baking sheet. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until top is shiny and a cake tester inserted into center comes out with some crumbs attached, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Break up brownie into small pieces; transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With machine on low speed, pour in rum, and mix until crumbs start to come together to form a ball.

Shape into 1-inch balls, and roll in sanding sugar to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Rum balls can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Makes 4 dozen
 
Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share (Martha Stewart Living Magazine)

3 comments:

Treat and Trick said...

Oh my...what a lovely bake! That are really delicious and perfectly shaped, so chocolaty....

http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Oh wow! Those look fabulous!

Lyndsay Wells said...

You realize, of course, that my entire Christmas baking repertoire is going to be comprised of your recipes... :-)