Monday, November 22, 2010

Fritos Brittle

I've been having fun sifting through recipes for snacks, treats, and sides to serve during the holiday season, and to perhaps bag up prettily and give as gifts. This recently caught my eye -- Fritos Brittle, an interesting taste treat served in The Chocolate Bar in Houston, TX. There are a variety of recipes, some of which include pecans, but I like this simpler version the best. We served it on some "test subjects" and it was very well received, though people were a bit hesitant when they first learned it contained corn chips.

Fritos Candy Brittle

2 cups pretzels
1 cup Fritos
12 mini peanut butter cups, unwrapped and halved
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Optional: Some peanuts for the top

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 13×9-inch pan with parchment paper. Place pretzels in food processor and pulse to break - don't pulverize. Add Fritos to processor and break them up with pretzels. Dump into pan. Unwrap peanut butter cups and throw them in the mix. Place butter in a non-stick saucepan and melt over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring once or twice. Pour over Frito mixture and bake for 8 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over hot candy. Return to oven for 1 minute to soften chips. Spread softened chocolate chips over bars (top with chopped peanuts if desired). Cool at room temperature until you feel the pan is cool enough to be transferred to your refrigerator, and then transfer to refrigerator to set the chocolate. When chocolate is set, lift from pan and break up the candy. Store in an airtight container.

Chocolate AND Fritos ...what's not to like?


5 comments:

lorimarsha said...

I'm definitely trying this recipe. I love sweet and salty together. To heck with calories and fat!

icedteaforme said...

making this now! i have no corn chips, so I am substituting pita chips!!!! thanks!

lorimarsha said...

It's in the oven...I modified the recipe.

Kristen said...

What a sinful sounding treat. I can just imagine how delicious they are!!!

Lyndsay Wells said...

How many ways can I confess my love of your blog and the recipes you present?

I can't wait to try this one and I know it will be good!