Friday, November 12, 2010

Crockpot Pulled Pork


Each week I attempt to try at least one new recipe. Thanks to the Internet, my vast selection of cookbooks, magazines, and the newspaper, I have more recipes than I will be able to prepare in a lifetime if I made something different every day. Last night I decided to try one for pork tenderloin. I had thought ahead to thaw the vacuum-sealed tenderloin in the fridge the night before, but was dismayed when I opened the package to find not one, but two of them inside. I'm not sure why they're packaged this way, but, well, they ARE.

This ended up playing into my hands as I used one for the new recipe I'd been wanting to try (Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Apples and Onions) that I found forgettable despite the excellent reviews. The other I threw into the Crockpot to make use of yet another recipe I wanted to try for pulled pork.

Go figure, the easier of the two was the best. It just goes to show you that you can make really delicious food with relatively few ingredients and virtually no effort. Working girls (and guys)? Do you hear me? Easy and good!
 
I found the recipe for the pulled pork here, at Allrecipes, but for the sake of convenience will reproduce it below.

SLOW COOKER PORK TENDERLOIN
Makes 8 servings

1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker. Drain well. Stir in barbecue sauce. Serve over hamburger buns.

Okay, confession time. I used 1 1-lb. pork tenderloin and part of a bottle of Coke, because we didn't have any root beer in the house. I just poured the Coke over the meat until it came a little more than halfway up the side and then poured the rest over a glass of ice and drank it myself!

Once the meat was cooked (and I checked it periodically, pulling at it with a fork until it began to shred), I drained the pork, put it into a mixing bowl,and shredded it with two forks.  Then I added the seasonings I use when I bake a brisket: a few shakes of garlic salt, a few shakes of celery salt, a few shakes of Liquid Smoke -- I LOVE Liquid Smoke! --, and some (but not too much, maybe 1-1/2 teaspoons) Worcestershire Sauce. On top of this I poured about half a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce and kept mixing until I liked the consistency.
Add additional barbecue sauce to your own taste.

This recipe is a keeper!




10 comments:

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

YUM! Thank you!

Lyndsay Wells said...

I have been looking for a pulled pork recipe for the crockpot. I love that this one has rootbeer in it.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I think the secret to this recipe is the use of pork tenderloin rather than pork loin roast or pork shoulder. I've tried other recipes and they all seemed dry to me. This meat was moist and tender.

Katerina said...

I know what you mean. Several times i have made complicated meals that really weren't worth the time and effort. Many times beauty can be found in simple things. I love pork and your pork tenderloin.

Jacqueline said...

Sounds so simple and great. The soda pop was a surprise, although we have a Mexican restaurant in town and everyone says that is their secret to their sweet pork.

The Charm of Home said...

That looks amazing! I am getting hungry just looking at it. Great recipe. Thanks.

Sherry

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Pulled pork cooked in the crock pot just seems to work so wonderfully well, doesn't it?! This recipe looks great.
Sue

Kathleen said...

We love crock pot pulled pork. I made it for 200 people for our beach community picnic. I use the butt or shoulder as there is more fat and it keeps it moist, and always use COKE! Never had any complaints, and never have any left overs!

And yes, we have a WSonoma and PBarn outlet here on LI. I love finding the bargains there. Of course I aggravate the people who pay full price! :) I get beautiful napkins there for .99 cents. I have shown a lot of my WS/PB in my blog. I go almost every week!
Have a wonderful weekend, and I am glad I got to meet you. I am going to poke around your blog now!

julie said...

This looks easy and delicious! I've been wanting to try pulled pork. I'm adding this to my to try list.

Thanks for linking up to family friendly fridays and have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Unknown said...

Yum..sound so good. Thanks for posting to CPW. Good luck with the giveaway.