Sunday, November 21, 2010

MAKING PRETZEL ROLLS

I was a pretzel roll virgin until trying one last week when we stopped for a bite to eat at Nadoz. Now I'm not particularly a fan of those big soft pretzels, but in roll form they are really yummy. So I figured why not try to make some myself?

This picture shows my first effort. The top is not as smooth as I'd have liked, so clearly I haven't yet perfected these (like I said, I was a PR virgin only last week!), but the taste and chewy texture are marvelous!  These will make a great addition to the bread tray at this year's Thanksgiving dinner.

Here's the process in making pretzel rolls.  The recipe I have only makes 8, so it was really no trouble.

PRETZEL ROLLS

 3/4 cup warm (80-90 degree) water 
1 tsp. salt
 2-1/2 tsp. brown sugar
 2 tsp. butter, melted
 2-1/4 cups + 1 Tbsp. bread flour
 2 tsp. active dry yeast.
 2 cups water
 2 Tbsp. baking soda
 1 egg white
Kosher or coarse sea salt for topping

Place the 3/4 c. water, salt, brown sugar, butter, flour and yeast into your bread machine pan fitted with the paddle, in that order (or in the order specified by your particular bread machine). Select the dough/pizza dough cycle and the small size loaf (1 lb.). Press start to mix, knead and rise.

When the cycle is completed, remove the dough and knead on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes. Divide the dough into equal pieces and shape them how you like. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Cover them with a lightly oiled sheet of plastic wrap and let them rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425. Bring the 2 cups of water to a light rolling bowl on the stovetop. Stir in the baking soda. Carefully slide the pretzels/rolls one at a time. Leave the roll there about 45 seconds before flipping and boiling for 45 minutes on the other side. Pick them up with a slotted spatula and let the water drain that way or put them on a cooling rack.

After you have done that with all the rolls, place them on a parchment/silpat lined cookie sheet. Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg white and sprinkle them with kosher salt. Bake them for about 12-15 minutes or until they have turned golden brown.

Slather with butter and indulge!  You deserve it.



This post is linked with This Week's Cravings.

4 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love pretzels, so these rolls look great to me! Can't wait to try these.

Diann said...

I have wanted to try my hand at making homemade pretzels for a long time. They intimidate me. LOL Maybe i will just have to break through the "pretzel" fear and try this recipe. they look so yummy!

Lyndsay Wells said...

I love your blog - and these look as amazing as everything else you post :-)

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks for linking up to This Week's Cravings! Come back this week for Thanksgiving Left-Overs!