Thursday, February 10, 2011

Malted Pecan Waffles

Heart-shaped malted pecan waffles and café au lait.

With St. Valentine's Day just a few days ahead, it's time to start thinking about a loving way in which to start your day.   Nothing says romance first thing in the morning, like a delicious hot breakfast. (Okay, nothing REALLY says romance like an extra few hours of sleep, but I digress... )   In this case, thanks to my heart-shaped waffle iron (a gift from the mister before we were married, how's that for romantic!), a plate of malted pecan waffles.

Now I realize that not everyone (few in fact) have heart-shaped waffle irons, so consider making square waffles and cutting them out with a large (3" to 4") heart-shaped cookie cutter.  That failing, make the square waffles and top them with heart-shaped butter pats, that are actually purchasable (much to my surprise) at some food markets.  That failing, if you plan ahead you can make your own heart-shaped butter pats using candy molds available at hobby and craft stores (e.g. Michael's - take your coupon!) by simply allowing butter to soften, pressing it into the molds (a rubber spatula works well for this), and chilling in the fridge until you need them.

Equally romantic are waffles topped with whipped cream and strawberries, or if you really want to go for broke, sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on top of the strawberries and whipped cream.  You're limited only by your imagination.


Here is a waffle recipe I particularly enjoy, but if you're under a time constraint use the recipe on the Bisquick box, adding a teaspoon of vanilla, a tablespoon of sugar and gratings of  either nutmeg or lemon zest.  It gives the waffles a taste that doesn't scream "out of the box," and will leave your diner with the special impression that you spent more time on them than you did.

Malted Pecan Waffles
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla malted milk powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat waffle iron. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, malted milk powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks and milk. Add milk mixture, butter, oil, and pecans to flour; stirring gently to combine. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed; fold into batter.  Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Keep warm in oven while remaining waffles cook.

Have a romantic day!


This post is linked to:

and 


at The Little Round Table



10 comments:

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

When I saw this recipe and this idea linked to Let's Do Brunch, I was really excited. Perfect Valentine's Brunch. I appreciate your suggestions for alternate ways to accomplish the goal of a heart.

Unknown said...

Oooh, very yummy. When my senior mom isn't out gardening, she loves cooking and she LOVES waffles. I know she'll love hearing about these cute ideas. Thank you for a lovely visit.

Candy @ The Little Round Table said...

These look perfectly delicious! Waffles for dinner? Would that work? I think so. :-)

Thanks so much for joining my first linky party on The Little Round Table and I hope that you will be able to visit again soon.

Candy

Anonymous said...

love is all around :)
www.kankanasaxena.net

Lynn said...

Somehow I think to a guy, the most romantic is just the waffles... period!!! The recipe looks great:@)

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

MALT, how I love thee, let me count the way! (Patty these sound wonderful!)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Such a yummy post", AND I Love the Paris Tea Towel that is hiding in your first picture! I'm your newest FOLLOWER... I am SO HAPPY that we found each others blog...We have LOTS in common!
Hugs to you,
Donna

Becky said...

Pattie, I never realized you were Pat from flickr!!! Is it a small world or what? So nice to see you in blogland and realize you are someone I already "knew".

We love waffles and I am really intrigued with this recipe. I've never thought of putting malt powder in them before. Thanks so much for sharing that. And thanks for being part of The Colours of Love.

Becky

The Tablescaper said...

What a wonderful way to spend Valentine's Day. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG! How delicious your waffles! Thanks for the recipe, I will make them this saturday for my hubby...he loves waffles!
I don't have a waffle iron with a heart shape, but hey!...I' make your recipe.
I just joined SS too.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S OLLITA!
XOXO
FABBY