Saturday, February 26, 2011

THE COBB SALAD


The Cobb salad (Not to be confused with "The Big Salad"* the 88th episode (2nd episode; 6th season) of Seinfeld that originally aired on September 29, 1994.), invented in the 1930's at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant is named for the restaurant's owner, Robert Howard Cobb.  A main-dish salad, its major components are chopped salad greens, tomato, crispy bacon, chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, chives, and Roquefort cheese.  Variations of the salad are served in restaurants worldwide (I personally add large-dice cucumber), but to me if there is no avocado, then it's not a Cobb Salad.  I think the Cobb Salad is one of the prettiest to serve.  One of the things I particularly like about it is the artistry involved in putting it together.  Here I've done it rather simply so you can see each ingredient, but in the past I've placed them in circles, swirls, and wedges.  We used Bamboo flatware to eat this one, which added to the fun!
All of the lettuce is from my AEROGARDEN. I used three varieties here: red leaf, romaine, and butter crunch.
It's week THREE! I had to move the Aerogarden from the guest room into my studio in order to be able to raise the light two notches to accommodate the lettuce's rapid growth this past week. (There will be a future blog post about this.)

This is linked to:
``````

*Elaine must find a special mechanical pencil, the Rolamech 1000, for her boss, Mr. Pitt (Ian Abercrombie) and soon finds herself dealing with the romantic advances of the stationery store clerk (Jerry Levine). The clerk asks for her telephone number to call her when he receives the pencil but Elaine gives him Jerry's number instead. At Elaine's request, George purchases a "big salad" for her from Monk's. But his girlfriend Julie (Michelle Forbes) appears to take credit for the purchase when she hands Elaine the salad in Jerry's apartment. George is displeased over the fact that Elaine thanked Julie for buying the salad, and casually mentions to Elaine that he was responsible for the purchase. George's revelation eventually leads to a rift between him and Julie when the truth comes out, but she simply justifies her actions by saying, "George, all I did was hand someone a bag." Semi-humiliated, George vows never to buy Elaine lunch ever again. Jerry learns that his current girlfriend, Margaret (Marita Geraghty), formerly dated Newman, who ended the relationship. Jerry cannot comprehend why Newman dumped someone so clearly "out of his league" in terms of beauty, so he attempts to find any fault in his girlfriend. Kramer plays golf with an ex-Major League Baseball player, who washes his ball on the second shot (not on the green), breaking the rules and causing an altercation with Kramer.The man is later suspected in the murder of a dry cleaner, and Kramer helps the man to see his pet fish by driving in his white Ford Bronco in a low speed chase down the New Jersey Turnpike.  (from Wikipedia)


7 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love Cobb Salad, I am pretty sure it is the blue cheese and bacon, but I do eat the whole thing!

Ann said...

I love these pictures. Cobb Salad is one of my favorites. The Cobb Salad reference can be found in Curb Your Enthusiasm. Very funny. I have it references on my blog. Check it out!

Miriam said...

I love salad meals :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Entertaining Women said...

I used to have a 'sliced pie' shaped mold that could be set on top of the lettuce to form the Cobb Salad. Don't know where it went. I always substitute another cheese for the Roquefort...can't stand the stuff! Your Aerogarden is pretty amazing. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Pier One really does normally have an interesting array of stemware in an assortment of appealing colors. Also, check out their napkins and placemats and watch for their sale. Happy shopping! Cherry Kay

Trisha said...

The salad looks so fresh and delicious ... i love salads.

Becky said...

Oh, your salad is beautiful. Doesn't hurt that it's on Fiesta either. :-) I love that you are using an Aerogarden. I got one of those for Christmas and plan to use it next season. Cobb Salad is both lovely and delicious. Whenever we go to DisneyWorld, I try to go by the Brown Derby at the Studios so I can get this salad.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your Cobb salad - it's something I love but don't make up that often at home. You're inspiring me to do it more often.