Tuesday, February 8, 2011

TEA, SCONES, and SHERLOCK HOLMES


We were on our way home from a two-week vacation in Italy.  Our plane was late leaving Malpensa Airport in Milan, so we had little time once we got to London Heathrow to make our connection into New York.  We were dragging heavy suitcases, loaded with goodies (Venice has the most AMAZING paper stores...but I digress), breathing heavily, worried that we wouldn't make our gate on time.  We zoomed past younger passengers with skilled ease.  We ignored our parched throats every time we passed a beverage stand or café, knowing our gate was our only mission.  And then I saw it.  The most wonderful little Sherlock Holmes teapot in the front of a shop of British goods that I knew belonged in my collection.  I had nothing like and I knew that I must, MUST!! I say, add it to my collection.  Without breaking stride I veered to the right.  I shifted my purse and two cases into my left hand, pulled my credit card from my pocket and secured it between my teeth.  With my free arm I scooped up the boxed teapot and in the blink of an eye slipped into the checkout, leaving heads of tourists behind me in a spin.  My lips parted and my credit card dropped onto the counter.  I nodded at the checker who knew what to do.  Swipe!  And the deed was done.  I signed, thanked him, and pressed on.  I made it!  And so did this little gem from England.  I smile every time I see it remembering that moment as though frozen in time.  Ahhh, the beauty of it all!

The cinnamon scones are delicious and the recipe is a breeze.  You can find it here.
Nothing beats clotted cream with any type of scone, but when it's not readily available you can make a reasonable (though not authentic) Devonshire Cream at home.
DEVONSHIRE CREAM
1 cup whipping cream
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat all together until stiff. Refrigerate. Serve with scones and jam.

21 comments:

Lyndsay Wells said...

I loved this - loved the tea pot, and could absolutely picture being there. Would love to know more about your adventures in Italy!

♥ Miss Tea said...

I love the teapot! I love sherlock holmes too and so glad you made it in time to the gate after quickly buying the teapot! thanks for sharing!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

ahhh I love scones! and your scones look yummy! I shall try to make some later this week.. btw that teapot of yours are just lovely! glad you bought it! am sure Mr. S.Homes is a happy camper now! thanks for sharing. Happy TT

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. Thanks so much for the recipe, too. I will have to try it.

Terri said...

What a thrilling post to read! It is always delightful to hear how one found a favorite piece!
The pot really is fab!
I do love your white tea cup and saucer too. It is simple and mixes well with the tea pot.
Thank you so much for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday.
Hugs,
Terri

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Pattie,
I am so happy to have you join me for tea today! What a wonderful teapot; LOVE it! How thrilling that you found it when you did and brought it home from jolly old England! I love hearing stories like yours! Thanks for sharing with us and have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Pellie / Penny said...

Lovely teapot. Sherlock Holmes is a favorite character around out house. Lucky you for being able to break stride so fast and moving so efficiently.

Hugs,
Penny

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Okay, now that is one FANTASTIC tea pot!! Imagine do a Sherlock Holmes Themed Tea!! Wouldn't that be neat???

Hugs,
Debbie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your teapot is exquisite. Love the scones also, lovely. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Love your story about the teapot. It is wonderful to have things like this that bring back those memories every time you use them. Love the look of those cinnamon scones too.
Sue :-)

Denise said...

OK-You win!Don't tell the other ladies in our tea hop but You win my blue ribbon of the day.I love all things English/Irish but I'm mostly Italian(pinch of Irish) and I adore your exciting lucky find.This is my first visit to your site,I now will be your new follower.Will you drop by and have tea with me when you find time?

KathyB. said...

Oh, a Sherlock Holmes Tea Pot? Who knew? I love it!!!!!!!!! I have read all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, and have a collection of movies based on Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone is my favorite actor portraying him. How much better can it get, teapot and Sherlock.

I especially love your account of finding and buying this teapot. You are a woman who knows what she wants, and acts on it!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I just have to say, I love that Tea Pot! I have never seen one like it. Thank you so much for sharing. I believe this is my first visit to your blog and I have become a follower. I look forward to getting to know you. Blessings, Martha

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Only a truly experienced shopper could have pulled this off! I can picture the entire scene so well from your description--believe me, I understand all about snagging that last perfect souvenir! You made an excellent choice! Linda
p.s. Can we see some of the lovely papers?

Becky said...

Pattie, that is a wonderful, amazing story. And it sounds like just the thing I would do, too! LOL. I love your Fiesta combined with the teapot. Here's a pic you might enjoy. I made it in the Baker Street Tube Station in London. You come up out of the Station right across from 221 Baker Street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18473186@N00/415026137/in/set-72157594577867519/

Thanks for the recipes, too. I just love scones.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've become your newest follower.

Rachel said...

Love the tea pot, makes me want to cozy up with my favorite Hot Cinnamon Tea right NOW!!!

parTea lady said...

Glad you were able to snag this wonderful Sherlock Holmes teapot. The scones look yummy - thanks for the recipe.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Just the mention of Sherlock Holmes and You had my curiosity so I've come for a visit! LOVED your post and what an adorable teapot! AND Yummy scones and coddled cream to make it PERFECTLY Yummy!!!
I'm your newest FOLLOWER and I'm hoping you will take a peek at into My Land of Blog and FOLLOW ME too if you'd like!
Happy Valentines Day,
Hugs, Donna

paperbutterfly said...

Of course you could not walk by it!!! I am glad it made it to this side of the pond without incident Thank you for sharing it with us and the recipes are sending me straight to the kitchen. We look forward to seeing you again for tea, soon.
Blessings, Pam.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My! It is a beauty! I love all of the detail and the English scenes on it. I laughed about the credit card between your teeth! I'm so glad you made it home with this treasure. Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Pattie...

My friend, I just giggled when I read this post...you sound sooo like me! Hehe! I just adore your Sherlock Holmes teapot and certainly can understand why you just HAD to have it! Mmm...and the cinnamon scones look divine! Such a lovely tea table, my friend...thank you for sharing it with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design