Wednesday, February 2, 2011

TABLESCAPE THURSDAY - Dinner with Friends


Sometimes having dinner with friends means something other than a festive gathering of people of various ages and backgrounds around a busy table with a lot of good food, conviviality, and conversation.  Sometimes it means having a peaceful  meal at a quiet table surrounded by things that have become friends due to the love and companionship acquired over the course of years.  In this case, the "friends" that surround this evening's table are my books, as I chose to set the table in the library for dinner.  It seemed appropriate then, to have a few books on the table as a part of the centerpiece.  A miniature Toby Jug of Sherlock Holmes surveys the scene.

I absolutely adore this set of dishes that I've been slowly acquiring on eBay.  How perfect are they for a literary setting like the library?
I love these scenes of Victorian London.



The literary design on the cup in the background is the perfect complement for the books.
Sources:
Table Runners: Pottery Barn
Brass Candlesticks: Virginia Metalcrafters
Candles: Bayberry tapers by Colonial Candle
Sherlock Toby Jug: Royal Doulton
Dishes: The Old Curiosity Shop by Royal (eBay)
Flatware: Fiestaware
Glasses: A wedding gift

This is linked to 








14 comments:

Mary said...

Love your Victorian London dishes! Dinner surrounded with books sounds perfect to me. I've always loved the idea of bookshelves in a dining room.

Marlis said...

i absolutely adore those dishes too!!! they are really a work of art and so perfect for the library. Your table is great. My husband is a Sherlock fan and loved his visit here as well. Thanks for dropping in and leaving your kind comment.

Janice said...

Your creative table is beautiful! I love that you found dishes named after a Charles Dickens' novel!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I am a big reader, too, so this tablescape is perfect. Neat plates! Love the centerpiece.

Happy Tablescape Thursday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tricia said...

Oh, what delightful dishes! You've shown them off beautifully on this wonderfully appealing table! I would be happy to dine with you and your "friends"!

Alycia Nichols said...

Hi, Pattie! You're right about the gas lamp card holders!!! Man!!! I am making a note in my "bloggers' requests" file so that if I ever run across some I can alert you. Your table looks so cool, and I LOVE the dishes. I can remember a time when I could not appreciate the beauty of those dishes. My grandmother had a set, and I could never understand why she cherished them so much. Now I do, and I wish I would have taken them when offered. (Heck...I was like 18 or 19 and had NO clue!!!) The double decker runner is a great touch, and Mr. Holmes looks right at home! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, and I'll keep an eye open for the gas lamps! Have a great weekend!

A Toile Tale said...

So clever....so cute.....so wonderfully creative! It's all what you do with those fine dishes and you did it all!!!
Linda @ A Toile Tale

Marigene said...

Pattie, love your table...I have been slowly collecting the same dishes at thrift stores. I can't wait until I have enough to do a table!

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE your green dishes! And your tablesetting is so lovely surrounded by well loved books.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Entertaining Women said...

The 'Ye Olde Curiosity Shop' dishes are wonderful...you've created the perfect setting for them..literally and figuratively. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Tess said...

Love your "guests"! I am a book lover and find this table charming. What a great Toby jug!! The color of your dishes is so pretty!

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm curious to know the maker and the name of that china pattern.

I would NEVER have thought of doing a literary themed dinner, but I LOVE it.

Sherlock is one of my faves.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea for a tablesetting in the library. Love it! And it's all so perfect and beautiful. You did a great job of bringing it all together.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Pattie...

What a fabulous table, my friend! I would just love to sit down at this pretty table and enjoy a meal! I have seen this pretty dish pattern before...I love it! It really does have some awesome Victorian scenes on it! I couldn't help but notice the one little bowl...with the Sherlock Holmes character on it...it mirrors your miniature Toby Sherlock Holmes mug sooo perfectly! Love that! Well my dear, taking a meal in the library sounds so delightful and you have set the perfect table! Thank you so much for sharing it with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week...this was such a treat! Hmmm...wished that I had a library...I would love to host a dinner in such a room!

Have a wonderful week, my friend!
Chari @Happy To Design