Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sour Cream Onion Bread

I just finished reading How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal and I really enjoyed it.  Told from three different points of view (and generations), it is a wonderful story of life, love, hardship, discovery, and baking bread.  Interspersed throughout the story are tips on bread baking (including how to make your own sourdough starter), history, trivia, and recipes. I was so inspired by both book and recipes that yesterday I baked, for the first time ever, a French baguette!  It was less than what I'd hoped, but then again, I've decided to try again (and again) until I learn how to make one as perfectly as those I find at the local Boulanger.


This morning I decided to take the easy route and go with a tried and true recipe where the bread machine did most of the work, so I made a loaf of Sour Cream Onion Bread, a finely textured, soft crust bread with lots of flavor.  With the bread machine doing the hard part in making the dough, the rest was easy. I simply shaped it, let it rise, baked it in the oven, brushed the top with butter, let it cool and then sliced and sampled. Yum!


Delicious warm from the oven, and also makes an excellent toast.  This bread is perfect for sandwiches.









Sour Cream Onion Bread 
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water

Place flour, sugar, salt, yeast, dried soup, sour cream, and water in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select the dough cycle, and press start. Shape dough, and place in a greased loaf pan. Place in a warm spot, and allow to rise until doubled in size. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) 
oven for 30 minutes. Cool.

This is linked to:
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

4 comments:

annies home said...

sounds like a great bread to serve long a hot bowl of soup

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

Your bread looks fantastic!

-Brenda

Lyndsay Wells said...

Pattie, I'm so excited to read this book. I think it will be perfect for my book group because we are all foodies.

This bread recipe looks great - but can you believe it, I don't own a bread maker! It's something I have always wanted but never purchased.

Unknown said...

this bread looks incredible--why does it have me craving sour cream and onion potato chips? :) thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club