Friday, July 12, 2013

Guinness Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting


This blog post is not about the delicious cake that you see pictured. No, this is about the frosting. I took a bit of a circuitous route to devise this frosting. It started, I suppose, when I relieved my dad of the jar of confectioners' sugar that remained in his pantry. I knew that he would never use it and, with mother gone, there will, sadly, be no more baking in that house. When I poured the sugar into my container, a recipe for cream cheese frosting fell out. It tugged at my heart. Little notes from mother seem to pop up when I least expect them. Finding them makes me happy and sad at the same time. My plan for the day was to make my favorite chocolate cake, Chocolate Stout Cake, and frost it with the same frosting that I always use, but instead, decided to try the recipe that had just appeared before me, making a chocolate version. It seemed like fate. Unfortunately I had no milk.  I did, however, have extra Guinness, so substituted half as much (due to the difference in viscosity) then tossed in some espresso powder for a richer flavor.  Then end result was so good I could have eaten it right from the bowl.  This is easy, no fail, spreads beautifully, amply covers the top and sides of a 9" cake, and got rave reviews from all who tried it.  I'd say it's a keeper. 

Guinness Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons Guinness
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder

In the work bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, Guinness, confectioner's sugar, butter, vanilla, cocoa, and espresso powder to a spreadable consistency. Spread onto cooled cake.

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Yes, it looks like it was fate dear Patty and I too love this frosting with the Guinnes..different! I copied it and will try it. Thanks.
Enjoy the weekend.
FABBY

Rosita Vargas said...

Riquísimo y el frosting magnífico,saludos.

Mary said...

Oh my...I had to pin as soon I cleaned up the drool off my keyboard! What a sweet gift to find the recipe in your dad's sugar.

Linda said...

What a sweet story. I am well acquainted with that happy and sad feeling.

I have used cream cheese in vanilla frosting but never considered it for chocolate. (head slap)

One of my favorite chocolate cakes is Nigella's Chocolate Guinness. I didn't take the time to do the conversions to see if it is the same as yours. I adore her description of it here: http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh wow sounds yummy! I have made the Guinness bread but this sounds way better!

Stopping by from Sugar & Spice Blog Hop

Debra@CommonGround said...

How sweet that you found that precious note. and yum, that cake looks beyond fabulous. Heck, I WOULD have eaten it straight from the bowl!