Monday, July 1, 2013

Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies



I am not a particular fan of the chocolate chip cookie.  To me, there’s something off with the chocolate chip-to-cookie ratio.  It’s not that I don’t like chocolate.  No.  I love chocolate, but the dark chocolate in chips seems to overwhelm the delicate deliciousness of the dough and overshadows the taste of the pecans.  So, I’ve developed my own recipe that, in truth, favors the pecans, but it will satisfy you like no other chocolate chip cookie.  First of all, the pecans are toasted to bring out their flavor.  Second, the pecans outnumber the chips two-to-one.  Third, the addition of the pudding mix makes for a crisp on the outside, cakey on the inside cookie that is hearty and delicious.  If you’re wondering about the rather odd amount of pudding mix used, you need to take a look at this post.  That should explain everything.

Toasted Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter, softened
2 T. granulated sugar
¼ c. plus 2 T. dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla
1 package, less 2-1/2 T. instant vanilla pudding mix
1 egg
1-1/2 cups broken pecans, toasted
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F. 

Whisk together flour and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.  In a large mixer bowl combine butter, the sugars, vanilla, and pudding mix and beat until smooth and creamy.  Add egg, beating to blend.  With mixer on low, gradually add flour, beating to incorporate.  Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.  Using a cookie scoop (or tablespoon), drop mounds of dough onto lightly greased baking sheets, spacing two inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.  Makes about 20 cookies.

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

We won't even discuss how much I adore Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip are my very best favorite! Curious about the addition of pudding mix, very interesting:)

I never think to add some crunch though, and since I happen to fav pecans too, I can see me baking some of these babies. I'll need to wait until this humidity takes a break though Pattie. It's like the air is even on!

Thanks for sharing...

Bubbe Bites said...

I love chocolate chip cookies!Yours looks incredible. I cant wait to try this fabulous recipe!

Linda said...

My favorite chocolate chip recipe also has some dry pudding mix in it, but I'll have to give your version a try. I will give you credit, and my husband will adore you for the extra pecans. ;) I am giving you a standing ovation for toasting the pecans.

I still haven't made the almond rolls, but hubby asked my why the almond paste had been sitting out on the counter for days. LOL!