Sunday, July 21, 2013

Zesty Shrimp Salad

 When I was a little girl my mother used to take me shopping and out to lunch at Stix, Baer & Fuller, now Dillards, for spring and fall clothes, and around Christmas time for special holiday wear.  I loved these outings.  From my small little vantage point, everything looked so large and spectacular.

The dining room would always be filled with ladies in fine attire, chattering away as they munched on chicken salad sandwiches and drank cocktails.  Mother found chicken salad mundane, so she would order the shrimp salad on cheese bread.  It always looked delicious, and I was torn, but I seldom varied from my usual hamburger, Jell-O, and chocolate milk.

The other day I was thinking about that shrimp salad sandwich, longing to be that little girl again, perched on a chair, swinging my legs, watching the shopping ladies while waiting for my lunch. I also longed for a shrimp salad sandwich on cheese bread.  So, I made one.  Now my cheese bread, though delicious, isn’t quite as cheesy as I had hoped, so I’m not going to share that recipe with you until it is perfected, but the shrimp salad is delish. So here is the recipe for half of the component of the sandwich.  By the end of next week I hope to be able to provide you with the bread recipe to make this little bit of vintage sandwich perfection.

Zesty Shrimp Salad

1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1-2 drops of Melissa’s Red Savina Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons
Melissa’s Fire Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped celery

Cook shrimp in medium pot of boiling salted water until done, about 4 minutes. Drain shrimp and cool; set aside. Combine mayonnaise, Old Bay, and hot sauce in a large bowl. Stir in roasted red peppers, scallions, celery, and shrimp. Toss to blend well. Season to taste with salt and pepper; add additional hot sauce to taste.
Cheese Brioche Loaf...a masterpiece in the making.  Stay tuned!

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Alycia Nichols said...

Oh, yeah...I'll be pinning this one! I can remember eating shrimp salad sandwiches back in the 80s. I haven't had one since. Your recipe sounds really good!!! I like spicy A LOT, so this should fill the bill!!!

I liked reading about your memories of this. What a great time back in the day when ladies would unabashedly enjoy cocktails in the afternoon!!! I'm going to work on bringing that back into fashion! :-) I remember Stix. We had one here in KC for a number of years. I remember being jealous because St. Louis had one and we didn't. When it finally came to KC, we were ecstatic!

Mary said...

Love your story and memories Pattie! Food transports us and comforts us. I have fond memories of back-to-school shopping with my grandmother and we always ate lunch at Miller & Rhodes department store :)