Monday, July 15, 2013

Seven Up Biscuits



By now you all are probably more than well aware of my penchant for unusual ingredients.  Case in point, my recently posted Grape Jelly Glazed Meatloaf.  So it was only natural when I spotted this recipe, currently running rampant on the web, that I just had to give them a try.  I am a huge biscuit fan, and always looking for something new.  I don’t keep soda on hand, as a rule, so had to buy a liter bottle of Seven Up for just the half cup called for, but it was well worth it.  These are sensational.  They are hard to describe, really.  The outside has a crispness uncommon to most biscuits that I’ve tried, the inside is like a cloud.  These are the lightest, fluffiest, most delicious biscuits that I think I’ve ever had.  Word of warning, they are very light, so if you like to pile your biscuits with lots of jelly or other toppings, they may just crumble under the weight.  A light spread of butter and perhaps a dollop of your favorite jam is all you need.  These will take you to biscuit heaven!

Seven Up Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick baking mix
½ cup sour cream
½ cup 7-Up or other lemon lime soda
3 Tbsp. butter, melted, divided

Preheat oven to 450°F.

In the work bowl of a food processor combine the baking mix and sour cream just until blended. Add the 7-Up and pulse until incorporated. The dough will be very tender. Sprinkle some additional baking mix on your working surface and carefully shape the dough into a 9-inch square.  This isn’t easy; it is a very light, rather sticky dough.  Using a very sharp knife, cut dough into 9 squares. Pour 2 of the Tbsp. of melted butter into a 9-inch square baking dish. Be sure the butter coats the bottom of the pan.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Brush tops of biscuits with remaining melted butter.

5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love biscuits and these sound so good. I would love for you to link this up to my Inspire Me party that just started today. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/173rd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
Hugs, Marty

Linda said...

I am so glad to see this review by the bread person I trust most The Bread Whisperer. :) I've seen this recipe countless times but was afraid to try it because the biscuits always look dense in the photos. Your review of a light result has set me free to buy that bottle of 7-Up.

~~louise~~ said...

I've actually baked biscuits with club soda before but never with 7-Up, Pattie.

I can see why they would be extra light and fluffy, club soda does the same thing to Matzoh Balls!!!

I love that you are experimenting with "unusual" ingredients. I just found a recipe for Pimento Cheesecake that I'm dying to try. I checked online and it doesn't seem like it's out there anywhere. If you're interested, I'll send you the recipe to "play" with. Chances are you'll get to it before I do, lol...

Mary said...

I'm not a baker but I think I can handle this recipe! I love that you play with unusual ingredients :)

Linda said...

I see that I commented on this in 2013 - but I did not try it until this past weekend! My daughter and son-in-law were here and although I had planned to make Homesick Texan's biscuit recipe, I glanced first at my saved recipes and this one popped up. I had one cup of Bisquick so I halved the recipe and made each biscuit a bit thinner to make more biscuits. We all loved them and were politely fighting over the last one! ;)

Here were some things I did a little differently: I carefully plopped the dough onto a floured surface and lightly rolled and then cut the tender dough with a biscuit cutter. I put the butter into the baking dish to melt it in the oven while the oven got hot, then I almost forgot it, so it was browned butter. Well it made for a nice brown crispy bottom, so I forgave myself for almost forgetting it!

Great recipe Pattie. :)