Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Captivating Chicken



Because meat generally takes overnight to thaw in the fridge, I try to imagine what my taste buds will be wanting for dinner the next day on the night before. Sometimes I am completely clueless, so just grab a package of something or other from the freezer, and shove it into the fridge. Such was the case last night that found me staring at a plate of thawing chicken this morning. Recipes abound on the Internet these days, and I have managed to fill up an entire three-ring binder with them, so, turning to the section set aside for chicken, I began to peruse. I was captivated by the name of this dish, it sounded relatively easy, I had everything on hand, so gave it a try for this evening. I tweaked it a bit adding shallots and extra seasoning here and there, but the outcome was a good one. The chicken was tender and mildly flavored, the sauce tasty. It was on the table in around 40 minutes, and well enjoyed with a side of buttered peas and rice. 
Captivating Chicken

 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup flour
Salt, white pepper, black pepper, paprika to taste
2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 medium shallot, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup half and half
1/4 lb. Shiitake mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in ½ Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese


 Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into 3/4 inch strips. In a gallon size Ziploc plastic bag put flour, salt, peppers, and paprika. Shake to mix. Add chicken strips and shake to thoroughly coat with seasoned flour. In a heavy large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter until bubbly, but not brown. Add chicken and cook, turning to brown all sides. Add garlic and shallot, and continue cooking for 1 more minute. Add broth, sherry, and lemon juice, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Pour in half and half and stir well. Stir in mushrooms, parsley, basil, and cheese. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve over rice or pasta. Serves 4.



This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I'm surprised that you print out the recipes and put them in a 3-ring binder. I cut & paste them into files and keep them organized on the iPad. Takes up much less space. Paper is so bulky!

The chicken looks delicious. Are those really shitake mushrooms?

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Those mushrooms are making my mouth water. I love cooking with sherry and don't have any in the house, so it's going on my grocery list. The first time I cooked with it and tasted the result, I threw away the cooking sherry I had always used as substitute!