Thursday, November 12, 2015

[Not so] Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake



I cannot abide anything runny. For this reason I have to hard cook my poached eggs and stir up and cook through my fried eggs, which really means that they are hard boiled and scrambled eggs, respectively. My point here is that I don’t like chasing my food. So when I saw this recipe for Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake, I hesitated. The recipe looked like a chocolate version of St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake (as it turned out, it is), so I just decided to over bake it so that it wouldn’t run all over my plate because, call it what you will, a “lava cake” is really just one that hasn’t quite baked through. That is high on the “Ick Factor” for me.

I kept the whole over baking thing to myself and served it with no explanation. It was a big hit! The edges were a bit crunchy, the bottom layer was chewy like a brownie, and the top layer was dense and creamy not unlike a flour-less chocolate cake.

If you don’t mind the thrill of the chase, bake yours for 30 minutes, but if you’re like me, give my version a try, and then let me know what you think.
[Not so] Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake
Slightly adapted from Paula Deen.

First Layer
1 (15.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted

Second Layer
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 extra large eggs
3 to 4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350ยบF. Grease a 9-inch spring-form cake pan.

Combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick melted butter, and stir until well blended. Pat the mixture into prepared pan and set aside.

In a stand mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder.
Lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. Mix until everything is well combined. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter and vanilla and continue to beat the mixture until smooth.

Pour the filling over the cake mixture in the spring-form pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.



This post is linked to:

6 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm with you on the runny eggs, but I will take a chocolate cake anyway I can get it. I do like your simple recipe and your cake does look divine!

Linda said...

Goodness you and I might be long lost sisters. I like my eggs exactly the same, not a fan of "lava", and my brownies can be dense but not half done like they are on many blogs. And I love that you don't mind using shortening and cake mixes. :))
Saving this to my "must try" list.

Mae Travels said...

It's interesting to hear how tastes vary! And interesting that the same recipe can be made for those different tastes, too. You really can't go wrong with chocolate... I guess. But even that taste varies!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I totally just pinned this! It sounds Heavenly!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

S H Elliott said...

I am making this! It may just be on my Thanksgiving buffet. None of us like pumpkin pie. ha! Sheila

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Your chocolate cake looks amazing!
Thanks for sharing the recipe at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.