Monday, November 30, 2015

King’s Arms Tavern Peanut Soup



In my youth, when I traveled, I would always come home loaded with various remembrances of my trip. It was always fun, and I still retain some of those items, fondly remembering each adventure every time I look at them. These days, with storage at a premium, and my interest in lugging big heavy bags a part of my past, I shop for more practical souvenirs. Because traveling is as much about sightseeing as it is about sampling the local cuisine, I tend to opt for local cookbooks, recipe postcards, and tea towels, so I considered my purchase of a souvenir tea towel that contained a recipe to be a bit of a double bonus.
The Kings Arms Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg is a fun, atmospheric, tasty place to dine. One of their specialties is peanut soup. I'd never had peanut soup prior to visiting here, and found the whole concept to be rather off putting, so, naturally, I ordered it. It was delicious! Now I'm not quite sure just how authentic to colonial days peanut butter is, but I refuse to be bothered by that because I really like this soup. With Thanksgiving now behind us, we are on the cusp of loads of holiday dinner parties and other such gatherings, so why not start off your lunch or dinner with a little bowl of this soup? Unique and enjoyable, I'm sure your guests will love it.

King’s Arms Tavern Peanut Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
3 Tablespoons flour
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cup smooth peanut butter
1-3/4 cup light cream
Chopped peanuts, for garnish

Saute onion and celery in butter until soft, but not brown. Stir in flour until well blended. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and puree either in a blender, using an immersion blender, or food processor. Add peanut butter and cream, stirring both in thoroughly. Heat through and serve. Garnish with chopped peanuts (and I used bacon as well.)

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I had a French friend who was horrified at the idea of a peanut butter sandwich, and when he heard of peanut butter soup. he suggested that it might be good if thinned with beer. I wonder how this recipe would be with beer instead of cream... lower in fat, anyway.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

What an interesting soup!