Friday, November 13, 2015

St. Louis Bread Company’s Broccoli Cheese Soup



When those of us from the St. Louis area hear the word “Panera” we know that this is really the St. Louis Bread Company. After all, Panera began here in 1987 under that name, and because, surely, there would be outrage otherwise, it remains as St. Louis Bread Co. (Bread Co. to the locals) in each of its 100 plus locations in this area. My boys grew up eating their fresh bread and delicious soups, and many a bowl of their chicken noodle has nursed me through a cold.

Up until now, I never bothered with any of the copycat recipes of their food because I visit the stores often enough to pick up my own, but last night with the fridge bursting with broccoli, I gave this recipe a try. Wow. The creator of this version has the soup down pat. This was delicious, and even the broccoli-hating Mr. O-P gobbled it up. I used a sharp, white Vermont cheddar and the result was heavenly.

St. Louis Bread Company’s Broccoli Cheese Soup
As seen on Food.com

1 tablespoon melted butter
12 medium chopped onion
14 cup melted butter
14 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups homemade chicken stock
12 lb. fresh broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
1 cup carrot, julienned
14 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper

Saute onion in butter. Set aside.

Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.

Add salt and pepper. Can be pureed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.

Serve with crusty bread.

This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Lori E said...

Well if I wasn't hungry when I started reading this I sure am now.

Mae Travels said...

Home town successes are always appreciated! I grew up quite near the first location of what's now the ubiquitous Panera, even on the Ohio Turnpike!

Looks like a good recipe. i think I'll try it next time I see it at Panera.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Saw this on Facebook - yum! Love the carrot addition. Makes such a great looking soup.

Unknown said...

I'm always up for a great Soup recipe and this is one of them. I pinned it to my soup board:)

Deborah Lacy said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this one too.