Friday, April 22, 2022

Danish Meatballs with Creamy Dill Sauce

I was craving meatballs the other day, but looking to do something different. That’s when I came across this recipe on food.com for Danish Meatballs with Creamy Dill Sauce. It had been ages since I last had Danish meatballs, and had never had them with dill sauce. Having bought much more fresh dill than I ended up needing, this worked out beautifully. Whether you want to make your own meatballs, or prefer to buy to those frozen from the market, I won’t judge. I would, however, encourage you to make this delicious sauce, and be certain to use fresh dill. Both meatball and sauce recipe can be halved or doubled to suit your needs. 

Danish Meatballs with Creamy Dill Sauce
Slightly adapted from food.com

Meatballs:

1 ½ lb. ground beef
½ lb. ground pork
2 t. salt
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
½ c. heavy cream
2 c. dry
bread crumbs
½ c. melted butter

Sauce:

½ c. butter
1/3 c. flour
2 c.
chicken broth
2 c. sour cream
2 - 3 T. chopped fresh dill
½ t.
ground allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika

In a large bowl mix the meat, salt, pepper, eggs, onion, and cream. With moist hands (mixture will be sticky), shape into 1 inch balls (as you can see, because I was having this as a main dish, I made large meatballs). Roll the meatballs in breadcrumbs until well coated.

Arrange in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Drizzle melted butter over the meatballs. Bake at 375°, turning three or four times, until evenly browned, about 35 minutes

Meanwhile, make the sauce:

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the chicken broth. Continue stirring until thickened and bubbly, and then blend in sour cream, dill, and seasonings.

Place meatballs in a serving dish and cover with sauce.  Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Linda said...

I've not had Danish meatballs, but they look delicious, and that sauce looks wonderful. What makes them Danish?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Danish meatballs contain beef and pork and are served in a rich creamy sauce.

Marie Smith said...

I will try these for sure.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Linda, the difference is the pork. That makes the meatballs fluffier. Swedish meatballs may contain pork, but by definition, do not necessarily have to.

Alycia Nichols said...

Aw, man...this sounds deliciously rich and wonderful! I've never eaten any kind of dill sauce that I can recall, but I know I would like it!!! I like that you made the meatball a decent size, too. No fooling around with those little baby things! Remember that old commercial where the guy quipped, "Now THAT'S a meatball!"?😁