Thursday, February 1, 2024

My Heart is Yours Valentine Tablescape

 
Obviously, I set lot of tables, and generally have a fairly easy time of it, but when Valentine’s Day rolls around, I’m always a bit stumped. Valentine’s Day is just not my holiday. Not because my sweetie has passed on to that big Valentine’s Day heart in the sky, but because my mother was the one who used to host the Valentine’s Day dinner every year and I suppose, because I never did it myself, my interest was a bit lacking.
 
 That said, I don’t like to see the holiday go unobserved in this household, so decided to put together a table for two that is bit bolder than those I have created in the past.
I took a cue from my Chinese New Year and went with red, black, and gold. Black is not a color that one would generally associate with Valentine’s Day, but it does look quite striking here. 
 The table covering is a bit of yardage that I inherited when my mother passed away. She was quite the seamstress, had a huge supply of fabric, and, despite the fact that I don’t sew, I had to have it all. On top of the polka-dotted table covering are round black placemats that are then topped with bold, red chargers that are encircled by a bit of raised rhinestone bling.

On top of the chargers are square black plates on top of which I have placed white heart-shaped salad plates. On top of those are sweet red heart-shaped soup or casserole dishes complete with matching lids. I believe I got these from Joanne about four years ago, but I’m not 100% sure.
  
The goblets are among my favorites and are from Villeroy & Boch, the gold flatware you’ve seen many times. I chose rustic candlestick holders for the center of the table, and after trying a number of different types of candles, decided on the metallic gold to complement the flatware.

 
The napkins are handmade out of Valentine fabric; the black cappuccino cup finishes off the place setting.

To add a bit of interest to the table, and break up the monotony of all those tiny little polka dots, I have scattered Valentine cards that my mother collected over the years.
 
 Whatever you have planned for your day, I hope it’s sweet, and that I have been able to provide you with a tiny bit of inspiration to aid you in setting a romantic table.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love to have the grandkids help make decorations for the table. They are never as beautiful as yours!

Gina said...

This is really moody and pretty - I love those goblets, always. V-Day is not my thing either...although I will buy each of the boys here a "sussie" and maybe fix a good dinner.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love your creativity and the fact that you set tables for every occasion. I only set a table when I'm entertaining..

Barbara at Mantel and Table said...

This is so fun Pattie - I love the black with your other Valentines colors! And those little casseroles! Thanks for more inspiration.

Denise said...

Your table looks really pretty, Pattie. My favorites are the heart-shaped casserole dishes and the vintage Valentine cards. Your plate stack and the red goblets look great together!

Visiting from Tablescape Thursday -- have a wonderful weekend!!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Beautifully done Pattie! Love how the black plays up the red. Love the little accent pieces too! If I lived near you I’d join you for some dining!

Kim said...

Very pretty table Pattie. The black might not be typical for Valentine's Day but it sure adds contrast and makes your other colors pop. The goblets are gorgeous and the patterned napkins are perfect. Love the heart-shaped casserole dishes!

Linda said...

Love the black, and the rhinestone chargers and the little soup dishes are the bomb!

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love the black, gold and red Pattie, and the napkins are so cute! Love the plate stack too, and the Valentine's scattered on the tablecloth. Love the bling on the chargers. It all looks fabulous!
Jenna

The Tote Trove said...

This is gorgeous, especially the rhinestones and vintage Valentines. I loved hearing that your mother always hosted Valentine's dinner. My mother does the same, and I look forward to it every year. 💖💗