Tuesday, February 27, 2024

The Diva Goes Overboard by Krista Davis, a Review

 
As I’ve gotten older I’ve largely moved away from cozy mystery series to those more hardboiled and gritty, perhaps because, with age, I’ve become a bit hardboiled and gritty myself. But there are exceptions to every rule and, for me, the delightful “Diva” series by Krista Davis is that exception. Her latest, The Diva Goes Overboard, scheduled for publication in May, is the seventeenth in the series, but no less delightful than any that precede.

In this book we find our heroine, Sophie Winston, in shock as she’s found that she has inherited the successful antiques shop that once belonged to bombastic antiques dealer Orson Chatsworth, the late fiancé of rival Natasha Smith’s mother, the free-spirited Wanda, poisoned during his and Wanda’s engagement party.

As is the case in all “Diva” books, food plays a major role with charcuterie boards of all types as well as butter boards taking center stage. Was one of these colorful and delicious boards the murder weapon? Leave it to Sophie to find out.

In addition to being a good mystery this series is beautifully atmospheric. The detailed and colorful descriptions of Old Town Alexandria make me feel as though I am there, right alongside Sophie, fellow sleuth and neighbor, Nina, as well as ex-husband Mars and the rest of the gang. As is the case with all of the books in this series, recipes for dishes mentioned throughout are included at the end, in this case, a baker’s dozen (13). Clearly, Davis has done it again with yet another well-crafted mystery in this popular series. 
 
Recommended.

Preorder your copy
here.

Disclaimer: Many thanks to the publisher, Kensington Cozies, as well as NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a review.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


3 comments:

The Tote Trove said...

Oh, this series sounds like fun! Also, your bit about being hard-boiled made me laugh. I always enjoy your writing. 😀🔎📕

Donna said...

I love a good English Cozy! This author, I just will have to check out!
hugs
Donna

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love cozy mysteries Pattie, especially ones about food! Thanks for the recommendation, I just downloaded book 1 in this series to my Kindle Reader, I can't wait to start reading!
Jenna