Friday, May 24, 2024

Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

 
Sometimes I just want peasant food. Simple ingredients and relatively few of them, quick and easy prep, one pan, and done. Dishes like this, I find, are great fun when served right out of the skillet from the center of the table. I found this paired particularly well with a side of German green beans. It’s also good mounded in a hoagie roll and served with a glass of hard cider or ale. Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

Adapted from thekitchn.com

 ½ large red onion

1 lb. sauerkraut

14-oz. kielbasa, sliced into 1/2” rounds

1 T. butter

1 T. vegetable oil

2 T. packed dark brown sugar

1 T.  spicy brown mustard

Freshly ground black pepper

Chopped scallions, for garnish

Thinly slice 1/2 large red onion (use a mandoline, if possible). Drain 1-pound sauerkraut.

 Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the butter is melted and the oil is shimmering. Add the kielbasa in an even layer. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the second side, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl or plate using tongs or a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the skillet.

Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauerkraut is heated through and onion is softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Taste and season with freshly ground black pepper as needed.

Return the kielbasa to the skillet and toss to combine. Garnish with chopped scallions.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Linda said...

"Peasant food" - yes, that is the name for my type of food! We usually do Nathan's wieners with sauerkraut, why have I not thought of smoked sausage? I like your additions - the sugar and mustard - and will save this to give it a try next time. I normally have a pan of cornbread with ours, but I like the hoagie suggestion. What are German green beans?

Gina said...

This just looks delicious! Fermented foods have health benefits, to boot!

Marie Smith said...

My husband will love this! Great idea!

Balvinder said...

This sounds like a great book but yes that's strange no vegetable recipes.
On the other note I shared a vegetable cake recipe that's traditional to Swiss cuisine. Hope you would love that.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

OMG.. my husband would love this recipe as he is a sauerkraut lover. There are plenty of sausage plant-based products I could use.