Sunday, June 30, 2013

Almond-Filled Breakfast Rolls

 

As I mentioned to you in this post, I have been going through the pantry with reckless abandon.  For the most part, I have a pretty good handle on what I have and where it is located, but when I came across a can of Almond Cake and Pastry Filling it gave me pause.  I have no idea when I bought this, or why.  None.  Whatsoever.  My best guess is that I thought I was buying marzipan.  I have been known to use that in the past, but not pastry filling.  I was a bit puzzled as to what to do with this, so removed the label, as directed, and took a gander at the recipes on the back.  One was for a tasty, though labor intensive, shaped cookie, the other was for a similarly tasty sounding cake, baked in a tube pan.  I do not own a tube pan.  I just never saw much of a need to make something in a tube-like shape.  So, remembering the recipe for Cinnamon Rolls that I had printed out from Food.com, I decided to adapt it and use almond filling instead of cinnamon, and top them with an Amaretto glaze.  Oh, boy, are these good!  If you like almond as much as I do, you will love these.  Made in the bread machine, they are easy to prepare, but, as with all ABM recipes, they can be made by hand as well.


Almond-Filled Breakfast Rolls

Rolls
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix (save the rest and come back tomorrow!)
1 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Filling
1 12.5 ounce can Solo Almond Cake and Pastry Filling

Glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Amaretto (or other Almond-Flavored liqueur)

Place ingredients into the bread machine following manufacturer's instructions and set for dough cycle.  After completion of cycle, remove from machine and roll out to a17x10-inch rectangle on a floured pastry board.

Spread almond filling over dough to the edges. Roll tightly from long end, pinching edges closed when finished. Slice into 1-1/2 pieces and arrange in a greased 9 x 9 pan.  Allow to rise until doubled.

Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, until golden.  Drizzle glaze over the top while warm, and again after the rolls have cooled.



This post is linked to:
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits

5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, these sound sooooooooo good. Hugs, Marty

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG Patty, I'm swooning over these and I want one, or two, or three of these yummy sweet rolls! I will make them very soon, wow, I can't wait. You got the best récipes, your posts always make me drool.Thanks for shring my friend.
FABBY

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

these look HEAVENLY! :)

Linda said...

I saw a can of almond paste in my pantry today. Like you I have no remembrance of buying it or why. After seeing your rolls, I have a purpose for it! They look delicious!

Raquel said...

I am dying over here. I loves, loves, loves this stuff. Almond is a BIG favorite of mine . . . hmmm these sound good for Sunday!