Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Blackberry Cranberry Sauce

Thanksgiving food is largely traditional, and it’s not easy to vary your menu from year to year without meeting with some resistance. One year I made the mistake year of serving cream of mushroom soup as a starter instead of my traditional potato leek, and there was an exchange of gunfire. This year, I decided to stick with the basic menu in order to avoid the dramatics, and simply change up the cranberries. I found this recipe online, and was intrigued by the addition of the blackberries. As much as I love blackberries, honestly, I can’t tell you when I last bought some, so I had to make this. It is delicious! I think it is one of the best cranberry sauce varieties that I have ever tried. If you’re looking to try something new, try this.

Blackberry Cranberry Sauce

Adapted from Studio Delicious

2 c. fresh cranberries

½ c. water

¼ t. kosher salt

¾ c. dark brown sugar

1 4-oz. container fresh blackberries

2 t. vanilla

1 T. raspberry vinegar

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, stir together cranberries, water, salt, and sugar, stirring to help dissolve the sugar. Bring mixture to a boil until the cranberries pop and sizzle, about 7 minutes. Add blackberries and raspberry vinegar, lower the heat to medium, and allow mixture to gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 more minutes until the liquid is syrupy and almost evaporated. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool and serve. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week.
 
 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Love this combination of cranberries with the blackberries. Happy Thanksgiving

Alycia Nichols said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!!!

Linda said...

I'll have to try this - I have a package of cranberries in my freezer. I used the immersion blender to smooth out my batch of cranberry sauce this year, and I didn't like it as well as when I leave it alone! Your recipe is very similar to mine except for the raspberry vinegar - yum!