Friday, November 12, 2021

Brussels Sprouts with Brandy Garlic Sauce

My number two son is as big of a foodie as I am, and loves to regale me with stories of various dinners out (good, bad, and often hysterical) while he’s on the road with his job. He recently had the opportunity to dine at a restaurant called The Pepper Sprout. He was describing a Brussels sprouts dish that sounded phenomenal. He located a copy of the menu online, and sent it to me. One of their small plates was Brussels sprouts; they were described like this: “Sautéed Brussels sprouts, red onions, cranberries, in a cast iron skillet with a brandy garlic sauce. Finished with toasted walnuts and blue cheese. ” Does that sound delicious, or what? They also offer a dip with spinach and “carnalized” onions. I’m not kidding. Somebody needs to proofread that menu. Or if not, I do not want to know what those onions are doing, but I digress. I decided to give recreating this dish a try (subbing on hand dried cherries for the cranberries), and was very pleased with the results. Having never tried the offering of this restaurant, I can’t tell you how authentic this is to theirs, but I can tell you that they are elegant, delicious, with a lovely presentation. 

Brussels Sprouts with Brandy Garlic Sauce

1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
1/3 c. chopped red onion
¼ c.
Melissa’s dried tart cherries
2 T. butter, divided
1 t. chopped garlic
2 T. brandy
2 T. water
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
½ t.
beef soup base
½ c. heavy cream
2 T. chopped walnuts, toasted

1 T. Bleu cheese crumbles

Hydrate cherries in ½ cup warm water; set aside.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a
10-inch sauté pan over medium/high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and onion, and sauté until sprouts are cooked through and onion is transparent, 4-5 minutes. Drain cherries, and stir into mix. Cook for one additional minute. Pour into warm serving bowl. Return pan to heat and melt 2nd tablespoon of butter. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute. Add brandy, and cook until nearly evaporated. Add water, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and soup base. Cook until slightly thickened. Add heavy cream, reduce heat to medium, and cook until heated through. Pour over Brussels sprout/onion mixture, top with walnuts and bleu cheese crumbles, and serve immediately.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It looks delicious. I’ve been roasting Brussel sprouts but I will try this! Thank you!

sandy said...

that sounds and looks so good. I love Brussel sprouts.

Lori E said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds so good.

Angie's Recipes said...

You have me at that brandy garlic sauce!

Linda said...

I am a fan of every single thing in this recipe. Looks like you might have made an even better version than your son had!