Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Slow Cooker “All You Can Eat” Cabbage Soup

I told myself that I would never stoop so low as to use the phrase “back in my day,” but I’m going to. Back in my day cabbage soup came into being. It was largely flavorless muck with a broth like river water, and it made the house smell like a bad diaper. I still shudder when I think of its early beginnings. But, as with many things, it has come a long way. I have come a long way as well, and have improved upon recent recipes by adding the woodsy taste of wild mushrooms, as well as employing the use of a slow cooker. Now, I’m not going to lie, there is a lot of chopping involved here. That said, once you get that completed, you can relax, and let the crockpot work it’s magic. This makes a lot, but it freezes beautifully, and it is really good! Don’t take my word for it try it for yourself. There is no fat, this is vegan, low-calorie, and word has it that you can lose up to 9 pounds in a week. I’ll bet this is looking better already.

Slow Cooker All You Can Eat Cabbage Soup


1 ½-oz. pkg. Melissa’s dried mushrooms*

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, diced

½ lb. carrots, sliced

4 ribs celery, sliced

1 green bell pepper, diced

1 14.5-oz. can French-style green beans, drained

1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes

1 8-oz. can tomato sauce

½ head green cabbage

6 c. vegetable broth**

½ c. chopped fresh parsley

1 t. smoked paprika

½ T. Italian seasoning

¼ t. freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)

½ t. salt (more to taste)

1-2 T. lemon juice

Smoked Sea Salt

Hydrate mushrooms according to package directions.

Chop the cabbage into one-inch strips or squares, and place in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT salt and lemon juice; stir to combine.

Cook on HIGH 5-6 hours (or until the vegetables test done) or on LOW 8-9 hours (see above). When cooking is complete, stir in salt and lemon juice. Add more of each of the latter, to taste. Finish with smoked sea salt for added depth and flavor.

Serve and enjoy. Freezes beautifully.

*I used chanterelles, but you can use any type of dried mushroom.

**I used Better Than Bouillon to make my broth.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

 

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

You are reading my mind. Cabbage soup is on the list of must try soon for us!

Angie's Recipes said...

The cabbage soup looks good and I definitely should have it more often.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Loving soup the way I do , I've always loved cabbage soup back in the day. I do have to say your recipe looks delicious and I like the use of dried mushrooms for a rich flavor. It's always a plus using the slow cooker.

Alycia Nichols said...

I can eat this soup all year round! The mushrooms take the place of meat, and that totally works for me! Remember that old Swedish folk tale called “Nail Soup”? This is it!😄

bread&salt said...

Yes time is cabbage season and this cabbage soup looks so yummy.