Friday, November 5, 2021

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


I love refried beans, and make sure to order them every time I go to an authentic Mexican restaurant. Truth be told, I also order them when I go to an unauthentic Mexican restaurants, I’m not picky. I love their spicy deliciousness and versatility. I have been known to have a side of refried beans with a western omelet. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, it is very good; add a scoop of arroz and you have a fabulous brunch. What I don’t like about refried beans is all of the fat that gives them their good taste. After what seemed like an exhaustive search, I found a very good recipe that gets its flavor from stock rather than, let’s be honest, lard, which is what they use. It’s also conveniently a slow cooker recipe, and there is nothing to it. I like to serve mine topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. You can also use chopped cilantro. Yes, I know that’s a piece of parsley in the picture, my forgotten cilantro turned into black slime in the fridge. What can you do?

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

 1 large yellow onion, diced

3 c. dry pinto beans, rinsed and picked through*

1 Melissa’s pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped

2 T. Melissa’s minced garlic

3 t. Kosher salt, or to taste

1 t. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste 

½ t. ground cumin

Pinch (1/8 t.) Mexican oregano

9 cups chicken, ham, or vegetable stock**

Place all ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours. When the beans have finished cooking, strain liquid and reserve. Mash beans with a food processor, potato masher, or immersion blender, slowly adding the reserved water to attain desired consistency.

 *It’s not necessary, but I soaked mine overnight.

 *I use Better Than Bouillon


5 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love how creamy and comforting the fried beans look..it's like a warm creamy bean dip.

Gina said...

Oh yum. A side of refried beans with some migas and home fries makes one of the best winter breakfasts to warm you from the inside! I have pintos on my list and my crock pot all ready to go! If you are naughty like me, you an also flavor them with a little bacon fat...

Linda said...

Yum on from-scratch refried beans! I use Better Than Bouillon too. Thanks for sharing your recipe - I bet your kitchen smelled wonderful.

Marie Smith said...

I’m not a fan of refried beans. I feel I’m missing out though after reading this post. This recipe looks great!

Alycia Nichols said...

Yup! I’ll be making this! I love the taste that lard provides but not the WAIST that lard provides!!!🤣🤣🤣 I’m always on the hunt for recipes that add flavor without fat. This sounds like a winner! And I like retried beans with omelets, too! Or sometimes I’ll warm a tortilla, slather some retried beans on there, add some cheese and salsa…BAM! Lunch! Also good in a breakfast tortilla roll up. Yeah, baby…I can eat ‘em all. day. LONG!!!😋