Monday, September 5, 2022

Romesco Sauce


I am generally not one to ramble on, but I need to give you a little background here. Last week, feeling nostalgic, I decided to replicate the meal that I had on our honeymoon in Nassau some 27 years ago, blackened grouper. So I got myself some grouper, and then realized that I don’t know anything about cooking fish. I searched for a recipe, and while I did come up with one for blackened grouper (which is nothing more than putting blackened seasoning on both sides of the grouper and then baking, broiling, or grilling it), I discovered Romesco Sauce for the first time. 

 Where has this been all my life? If you are wondering what Romesco Sauce is, let me tell you that it is of Spanish and Portuguese origin. The base ingredients include roasted red peppers, nuts, garlic, bread (yes, bread!), olive oil, and vinegar. It is then processed into a paste wherein it will become one of your favorite sauces in the world! Not only is it tangy, spicy, and delicious, but it is so versatile. I have used it on its own, in pasta salad, as a topper for tomato soup, stirred into ranch dressing, blended into cream cheese as a spread, and recently in egg salad; it makes everything better! I also added a tablespoon to my recipe for Cheesy Garlic Bread, and it was magnificent! 

In case you’re wondering, I ruined the grouper. It was overdone, tough, and rubbery, but hey, I found the sauce!

Romesco Sauce

Slightly adapted from Gourmet Magazine, June 2000

 1/3 c. whole blanched almonds, toasted

1 slice firm white sandwich bread, torn into pieces

2 large garlic cloves

½ t. dried hot red pepper flakes*

½ c. coarsely chopped Melissa’s roasted red peppers

2 T. red-wine vinegar

½ t. salt, or to taste

¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil

 Finely grind almonds, bread, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Add roasted peppers, vinegar, and salt, then purée, adding oil in a slow stream. Season with black pepper.

*Use less, if desired.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

3 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I do love the way you tell a story! The sauce sounds delicious and I love your white serving dish!

Marie Smith said...

The sauce looks good. I don’t know what grouper is like. Being a Newfoundlander, cod was all I grew up with. I am curious about it now though.

Linda said...

Looks wonderful! I've seen the odd recipe with bread as an ingredient - it makes sense when you think about it. I wouldn't be able to eat grouper because we used to love them when we scuba dived - lol!