Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Fajitas

  Prior to this week I had never had fajitas. Never! Honestly, I didn’t get what the big deal was. Now I know, and since that time I’ve made them twice. They are so easy to put together, super delicious, hearty and filling, wonderfully tasty, not to mention versatile, so much so that they are going to become a regular part of my meal rotation.


The first time I tried them I used a commercial seasoning packet. It was way too hot for me. In looking at the list of ingredients on the package I saw that chili pepper was the first ingredient. That said everything to me. After a bit of experimentation with a variety of recipes, I came up with what I think is the absolute best.

Fajitas

Seasoning:

1 T. cornstarch
2 t. chili powder
1 t.
sea salt
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t.
ground cumin
1 t. granulated sugar
1/2 t.
onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. Mexican oregano
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Mix together all ingredients and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

To make fajitas:

Fajitas are easy to put together. Choose a protein (I used a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts), one pepper (I used 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 yellow pepper) thinly sliced, and 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced. Put a tablespoon of olive oil into a 9 to 10 inch sauté pan and get it hot. Add chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Allow it to sear on each side, so let it cook for a good two minutes before turning it over to sear the reverse. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken to a heated plate. Add thinly sliced peppers and onions add more olive oil, if necessary, to the pan. Sauté until vegetables are soft. Return chicken to the pan along with 1/2 cup of water (or Bloody Mary mix, as I did), and two heaping tablespoons seasoning. Give it a good stir. Cover and cook until heated through and sauce is reduced to your liking. Serve on warm tortillas with salsa, cheese, sliced scallions, slices of avocado, and sour cream.


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

As we’ve gotten older, my husband and I find our taste buds are failing us. I put together spice blends which stimulate our tastebuds again. I will use this blend for sure. Thank you.

Thelma said...

I've never made them. As the saying goes, there's a first time for everything. They look delicious.

Gina said...

That looks very delish, but very different from fajitas in these parts. Here, there is no sauce and very little seasoning, other than salt and pepper. The meat (skirt steak strips) is seared, as are the strips of onion and peppers, and served on a sizzling hot cast iron pan alongside tortillas and sour cream and guac. You have me wanting to try your version, though. Looks so good for a cold night, such as tonight!

Linda said...

Pattie these look delicious! I love fajitas but never order them in a restaurant unless they have them on the lunch menu, because they are so expensive! I'd rather spend my money on the margarita - bahahahah!
My son makes the best fajitas I've ever had. He uses fresh lime to marinate along with some kind of seasonings, then griddles them on the Blackstone, and it makes them so tender and good.
I hope you have a merry Christmas!

Lana said...

We make them often and use the leftovers, chopped, in quesadillas.