Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Ho! Ho! Holiday Luncheon!


Back in my youth, I would host multiple holiday gatherings, enjoying each one of them. As I got older, the number dropped but at least, in my opinion anyway, the quality soared. This year I decided to host a holiday luncheon. I spared no expense. There were four of us, including me, and we were all looking forward to it. I worked for weeks in preparation, cleaning, decorating, planning the food, making the food, ordering fresh flowers and greenery…you get the idea. It was originally scheduled for Saturday, December 10, and then due to illness of one of the guests, I was lucky enough to be able to change it to Sunday, December 11. All systems were go until 9 o’clock that morning when I learned that one of the ladies had fallen, and the other had taken her to the ER. What was it that Robert Burns said about the best laid plans? Yeah.

On the plus side, the house is clean, it looks lovely, and I have a lot of delicious food. Truth be told, as many of the dishes that can freeze, will be frozen, I have plenty for some future event. But just because it can’t be enjoyed in the way in which it was originally intended, does not mean that I can’t share it with you.

This table went through numerous changes before I decided upon this final one. On top of the checkered tablecloth are black and cream placemats that you can’t see in the picture, but would be able to see during dinner because the leafy green placemats (that look like greenery surrounding the plates), are surreptitiously removed when the diners grab their plates to hit the buffet. There’s no way I’m going to insist that my guests hack their way through greenery to get to their food.


Originally I had tin chargers under the greenery and pine cone plates (that I got at Pottery Barn years ago), my intention being to match the tin to the reindeer vessel that made up the centerpiece. Later I discovered that the red charger plate with embedded rhinestones looked much brighter.

 

The Santa plate on top I inherited from my mother. It is from Fitz & Floyd 1989. It would be removed and later used to serve dessert. The flatware is from Cabela’s, and has a pine cone design to match the pine cones in the plates.

 I tried a number of different cups, saucers, and mug combinations, deciding that the white mug was the best as it picked up the white in Santa’s beard making things brighter. The emerald green water glasses I inherited from my mother. They have made many Christmas appearances. The wine glasses are from Mikasa and in the “Park Lane” pattern.

 The darling wooden Santa napkins rings were, again, my mother's; the napkins are from Pottery Barn.

 The candle holders that look like trees I inherited from my mother as well. I always admired them on her table, and am now thrilled to have them on mine.

 The little ceramic baskets with holly leaves at each place setting, holding a Lindor milk chocolate truffle, I inherited from my mother as well. They are bone china from the Philippines, 1986. I always like to have a little goodie at the table. In addition to this little treat, each diner was going to go home with a can of hot chocolate mix from local chocolatier, Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate.


 The centerpiece I have mixed feelings about. I had ordered this requesting the “Premium” (read: the absolute BEST and most expensive) size, and paid the premium price. This looked a little puny compared to what I was expecting. On the plus side, the vessel is darling, and I intend to make my own arrangement for future years that I guarantee will look much showier than this one.

 I had covered the serving area with fresh greenery, and used place card holders to display the names of the dishes. I find that people really enjoy knowing exactly what they’re digging into.

  The champagne flutes were a new edition this year, intended to be used for serving the house “Poinsettia” cocktail, a tasty mixture of cranberry juice, Cointreau, topped off with champagne.

 

Whatever you do for the holiday season, and however you do it, I wish you great success!

  As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday

 

5 comments:

Gina said...

That all looks so festive and beautiful and I hope that you and your friends can re-convene on a future day. Jealous I don't have a neighbor like you...

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Back at ya, Gina! I wish I lived closer to SO MANY of my blogger friends.

Latane Barton said...

I am so sorry that your guests had first one problem then another and there you are with that gorgeous table. And, I bet the food was amazing. Hoping your Christmas turns on a brighter note and things go well from now on.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thanks, Latane! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Marie Smith said...

Such wonderful ideas and setting! Love it. I could only hope to set such a lovely table!