Friday, December 16, 2022

Date Rocks

When I was a little girl I used to enjoy going through my mother’s recipe box. I loved seeing all of the different styles of handwriting, looking at all of the different recipes, and particularly enjoyed the various types of stationery on which they were written. In one of my more creative moments, much to my mother’s dismay, I organized them by stationery category (matching the various types of recipe cards to each other, fold-a-notes, note cards, etc.) rather than by recipe type. It took her quite a while to get things back in order.

One of the recipes that I found, during that particular flight of fancy, was one that had been given to her by her sister. It was for a cookie called Date Rocks. I couldn’t imagine what those cookies tasted like, and wondered if they were as hard as the name indicated. It wasn’t until recently that I came across it again and decided to give it a try. As I often do, I changed things up a bit using Blood Orange Dark Chocolate-Covered Jooliettes Dates in place of plain ones. Wow! These are really delicious.

Date Rocks

 1½ c. brown sugar

1 c. butter, softened

3 eggs, room temperature

1 t. vanilla extract

3 c. flour

2 t. baking powder

½ t. baking soda

1 t. kosher salt

1 t. ground cinnamon

1/8 t. cloves

1 c. raisins

¾ c. Blood Orange Dark Chocolate-Covered Jooliettes Date Nibbles

1 c. walnuts

 Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat; set aside.

 In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat to combine. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves and beat to incorporate. Fold in raisins, dates, and walnuts.

Drop the batter onto prepared sheet (I used a cookie scoop), and bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

  As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Gina said...

I remember my grandmother made date cookies - very nostalgic, but I bet yours took it up a notch!

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never seen the Jooliettes. My husband would like this recipe.

Linda said...

Lol on your organizing prowess! Reminds me of the time I tried to help Mom by "weeding" her vegetable garden - I pulled up every single tomato plant start she had planted. :( I know Mom would have loved these cookies - are they pretty soft? They look fantastic.

Thelma said...

I've never heard of blood orange chocolate. I bet those cookies taste delicious.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thelma, it’s chocolate that has the flavoring of blood oranges. If you’re familiar with those Terry’s chocolate oranges, you get the idea.