Monday, May 1, 2023

Hot Fudge Sauce


The other day I had a powerful, and I am talking POWERFUL, hankering for a hot fudge sundae. This is rather unusual for me because I’m not a great lover of ice cream. Still, I became obsessed with wanting one. I rummaged around in the freezer (my climate-controlled version of the downstairs, unfinished storage area, affectionately known as “the belly of the beast”), and found a carton of vanilla ice cream way in the back. When I took the lid off and peered inside, I found a rather gummy, crystallized hunk of ice cream. I’m not proud to say that my plans were to eat it. In looking for fudge to top my ice cream I came to the realization that I was out. I say “out, but what I really mean is I generally don’t keep this on hand. Naturally, I took to the Internet to find a recipe so that I could make my own to satisfy my culinary craving, and settled on this one. I changed it up because chocolate absolutely needs coffee to intensify the flavor. It was amazing how good that old hunk of desiccated ice cream turned out to be.

Hot Fudge Sauce

Adapted from The View from Great Island

 1 heaping c. semi sweet chocolate chips

½ c. unsalted butter

1/8 t. salt

½ t. espresso powder

2 c. confectioner's sugar

1 12-oz. can evaporated milk

1 T. vanilla extract

 Melt the butter, chocolate, salt, and espresso powder in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and milk, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

 Pour into jars and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

 When ready to use, microwave the sauce VERY briefly to heat it up. You can either heat up individual portions, or heat the whole jar.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

5 comments:

Donna said...

Oh nooo...I'm in trouble, Again! Lolol
hugs
Donna

Denise said...

Hi Pattie,

That fudge sauce looks just delicious!! I make a very similar one here, and we all love it. Homemade fudge sauce really takes vanilla ice cream to a whole new level, doesn't it. I should make a double batch next time so I can have extra on hand like you've done. It looks so pretty in your little jars. :)

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Pattie, and have a great week!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Lana said...

In a serious craving pinch you can microwave mini marshmallows and chocolate chips together and they make a decent sauce.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That’s interesting, Lana, I did not know that. I rarely have marshmallows on hand, but perhaps I should start keeping them in stock.

Linda said...

I have a go-to sauce, but this one is interesting with the addition of powdered sugar and it looks smooth and good. I will remember your advice to add espresso powder, which I purchased because of you. :D