Thursday, May 18, 2023

Rooting for Spring Tablescape


You may (or may not) have noticed that I’d taken a bit of a break. That’s because I decided, at long last, to clean. I am not a cleaner. My mother LOVED to clean; me, not so much. She came to help me clean before a party once, and said that she really enjoyed cleaning at my house because she could really see results. That pretty much says everything.

 
Why do I mention that, you ask? Because I was inspired by the great outdoors, and my budding vegetable container garden, to create this table. For those of you who enjoy vegetable gardening as much as I do, this one’s for you.

This past week I decided to tackle the conservatory. I divided it into quadrants, so as not to be overwhelmed.  For those of you who have plants, and I am talking a lot of plants, you know how time-consuming it is to care for each one individually, particularly if you grow citrus indoors, and that citrus has scale. Scale produces a type of sap, called “honeydew,” that is a clear, sticky substance that, I soon came to realize, pretty much had stuck to everything from the floor, sofa, cushions, to the windowsills, etc. I spent a good portion of last week on my hands and knees, with Dawn and a soft sponge, scrubbing. On the plus side, those trees are now outside and being treated, and the conservatory is sparkling clean, and all the plants look beautiful and healthy.

I became enamored with the carrot theme around Easter and that inspired the purchase of the Maxcera carrot mugs, the Spoonflower carrot fabric (that had me hemming napkins and the table topper), as well as digging out my plates for the summer, including this set from Williams-Sonoma featuring beautiful carrots.

 
The carrot fabric napkins that I made paired nicely with the green checked napkins that I had gotten from Pottery Barn. Naturally, I had to have orange flatware to go along with it. (Imagine how lovely these would look with dark blue, not to mention fall colors.)

Carrots have those wonderful green tops, so I thought my Villeroy and Boch glassware appropriate.

 
The Chantal carrot bowls (purchased at Home Goods more than a decade ago) alongside are favorites of mine. They are whimsical and fun, and perfect for serving small salads be it fruit, coleslaw, or leafy green. The Blenko pitcher reinforces the carrot orange. 
The chargers are my favorite Bordallo Pinheiro geranium leaf chargers. They are topped with wonderful bright oval orange plates.

 
The simple centerpiece features a nice variety of carrot seed packs to drive the theme home.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday 

8 comments:

Barbara at Mantel and Table said...

This is darling Pattie! I love your carrot theme, and having had a lemon tree indoors for years, I can totally sympathize with your honeydew project. That stuff is serious! Thanks for the great ideas for this garden table. Makes me want to go plant something! Besides cleaning, I hope you're having a lovely spring!

Marie Smith said...

I love this setting. Different! Beautiful!

Donna said...

Who knew that carrots could be so beautiful?!! I Love this!
Happy weekend!
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

This is so cheerful with all of the pretty orange color - I zeroed in on the candle. I don't know you found an orange candle! Just curious - is the Conservatory upstairs? Does that make it challenging to set up the table and serve food? Happy weekend!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Gina, I found the orange candle on Amazon. Where else? I just had to have one. The conservatory appears to be on the second floor because I have a walkout basement. In reality, it is right off of the dining area, so the table is very easy to set up

Linda said...

How nice that your conservatory is sparkling clean now - that is such a good feeling. I am particularly fond of that pretty orange flatware - I see it is called "persimmon". That Blenko pitcher is gorgeous. Beautiful, as always, Pattie!

sandy said...

I either want to live in your house, you know rent me a room .lolol..or now I have to throw out everything I own and use oranges and greens for decorating. This is a gorgeous post - a visual treat!! I love what your mother said, ...had me laughing.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thank you for your comment, Sandy. If you are seeing this, I no longer appear to have access to your blog. I always enjoy seeing what you do, so if you can direct me, I would appreciate it.