Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The Original Coronation Chicken

 
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I pulled an all-nighter in order to watch the coronation live. It’s not often that we can see history in the making, and this was spectacular! I had a friend who was doing the same, and we were messaging back-and-forth about every little detail. She asked me if I had made Coronation Chicken for the occasion, and wanted to know if she could have my recipe. She was surprised when I told her that I had never made Coronation Chicken. After the extravaganza that was the coronation concert, I decided to do a little research. It seems it was first created in 1953 by Le Cordon Bleu London, in celebration of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. It was initially called “Poulet Reine Elizabeth,” and was served with rice, green peas, and pimientos. I prefer mine on a lightly toasted croissant. However you’d like to enjoy yours, be sure to give this traditional taste treat a try. I’m not going to lie, it’s a bit of work, but it’s truly the best chicken salad that I have ever eaten.
The Original Coronation Chicken

 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil

1 Melissa’s shallot, finely chopped

1 bay leaf

2 t. mild curry powder

1 t. double-concentrated tomato paste

2 oz. red wine

2 oz. water

1 T. fresh lemon juice

¼ t. brown sugar

¾ c. mayonnaise

½ c. Crème fraîche (or unsweetened whipped cream)

1 T. dried apricots, finely chopped

6 c. cubed cooked chicken

Salt & pepper to taste

3 T. toasted sliced almonds

  Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add in the shallot, bay leaf, and curry powder, and gently cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste, red wine, and water, and bring to a gentle boil.

Add the lemon juice, and a pinch of sugar, then season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.

 Simmer for 2 minutes, until the sauce is slightly reduced, then remove from the heat. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and allow it to cool.

 In a large bowl mix together the prepared sauce with the mayonnaise, Crème fraîche, and finely chopped apricots.

Add in the cooked chicken breast, and mix gently all the ingredients together. Finally, add toasted sliced almonds.

 Serve the coronation chicken with a salad, rice, or as a filling for jacket potatoes and sandwiches.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Donna said...

Omggg...Looks SO delicious!
hugs
Donna

Marie Smith said...

The apricots are a lovely addition! Yummy!

Shelly said...

How pretty! I can't wait to try it! My mouth is watering already. Thanks!

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

This sounds delicious! Thank you for the recipe. Being in the Central time zone, I got up at 3am to take care of the dogs and get my plate and coffee ready. At that hour of the morning, I needed coffee. This time, unlike occasions in the past, I shopped the bakery for quiche, a cranberry orange scone and a ham and cheese pastry. At 72, I don't cook much anymore. A few of my friends watched also, we connected on Facebook to share photos of our plates and cups. I love the Royal events and have always gotten up in the wee hours to prepare my watch party, including making scones and pastries.