Monday, May 29, 2023

Ruth's Chris Chopped Salad Copycat

 
I have never had the pleasure of eating at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. It’s not that I haven’t wanted to; it’s just that the opportunity never arose. Truth be told, the late Mr. O-P used to be quite the steak maker, and often when we dined at area steakhouses, we would return home disappointed. I do like to keep my eye out for copycat recipes, though, and this one intrigued me. First of all, I love a chopped salad. I know it’s old school, but I don’t care. There’s just something simple, homey, crunchy, and delicious about a chopped salad, not to mention the fact that it’s easy to get onto a fork and into your mouth rather than, as has happened with some of those froufrou salads, wear it like a chest plate. Second, I love the way this is served. Ruth’s Chris garnishes with two halves of a cherry tomato. I didn’t have any, so I just left it as is.

 If you’ve never used a ring mold, let me tell you it is the simplest thing ever. Just put it on your serving plate, fill it with salad, and tamp it down, and slowly lift up the ring and there is your beautiful salad. It also works quite well with rice.

 This is an exceptionally good combination of ingredients. Make it fancy, serve it simply, or enjoy it as a main dish. Don’t let this one get by without giving it a try.

Ruth's Chris Chopped Salad Copycat

As seen on lakesidetable.com

 Salad Dressing

½ c. sour cream

2 fresh lemons, juiced

1 t. kosher salt

½ t. garlic powder

1 c. finely chopped fresh basil

Salad

½ head Iceberg lettuce chopped

6 slices bacon cooked and chopped

1 small radicchio, chopped

1 c. croutons, chopped

½ c. green olives, chopped

½ c. Melissa’s heart of palm, chopped

2/3 c. blue cheese, crumbled

4 medium mushrooms, chopped

2 boiled eggs, chopped

½ red onion, minced

Topping & garnish

1 c. crunchy fried onions

8 cherry tomatoes, halved

 Salad Dressing

Mix all the salad dressing ingredients together and set aside.

 Salad

Gently mix all of the ingredients together except for the crispy fried onions and cherry tomatoes.

 Pour salad dressing over the salad and mix together until thoroughly combined.

 Divide salad between 4 plates and top with crispy fried onions and garnish with cherry tomatoes.

 OR place the metal salad ring mold on the salad plate and fill it with salad. Then with the bottom of a glass, gently tap the salad down to compress it. This will help it keep its shape.

Remove the glass and top the salad with crispy onions. Then using the bottom of the glass again to keep the salad on the plate, bring the ring up, and remove the ring.

 Garnish with tomatoes.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

2 comments:

Marie Smith said...

This looks delicious, as usual. Heart of palm is not something I see in the stores here. I’ll look for it!

Linda said...

I've never seen a salad like that - I have to say it looks yummy!