Friday, May 26, 2023

Starbuck’s Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte Copycat

 
There’s an old movie from 1966 starring Cary Grant, Jim Hutton, and Samantha Eggar, called “Walk, Don’t Run.”  It takes place during the summer Olympic Games in 1964 and focuses on the housing shortage. Two men, Grant and Hutton, are forced to share a small apartment in Tokyo with the innocent and lovely Eggar. In one scene that I remember to this day, Cary Grant is making coffee, because it became obvious to him early on that neither Hutton nor Eggar could do it well enough to suit him. This was in the days of percolators (remember those?), Grant opens up a can of coffee grounds, pours it into the basket of the percolator filling it up, and levels it off with his index finger. Later, when he drinks this hearty brew he says, “That’s what I call coffee.” I have to agree.
My methods are a bit more modern and sophisticated than were his, but I want coffee strong enough to stand a spoon up in it. That’s why I never go to coffee houses. They never make the coffee strong enough to suit me, and I always question the cleanliness of their equipment.

Despite that, I must say that I am fascinated by some of their concoctions. Because drinking cold brew every afternoon at 3 PM has become as much a part of my lifestyle as waking up in the morning, I was eager to try a copycat recipe that I found on the web for Starbuck’s Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte. It’s simple enough, just add a tablespoon (I use more) of cinnamon syrup to cold brew coffee, top it off with a splash of cream, and you have a wonderful, refreshing beverage. I drink cold brew all through the winter, outside temperatures don’t dictate whether I drink coffee or not. If you only drink it during the summer, you'll need to add this one to your repertoire. It’s really good.

Starbuck’s Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte Copycat

 1/3 c. water

1/3 c. brown sugarpacked

   2 t. vanilla extract

1 t. cinnamon

Double shot espresso

Ice

¼ c. whole milk

 In a small saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Cook for 3-5 minutes until it comes to a simmer. Remove the syrup from the pot into an airtight container.

 Fill your favorite glass with ice. Add espresso and 1-2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar syrup. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour in milk and enjoy.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

5 comments:

Donna said...

Hubby and I never go to Starbucks anymore...the coffee is nasty, these days. Hubby roast coffee beans here at home and it's truly wonderful! No coffeehouse can beat it.
Thanks for the recipe though!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

Would you believe we have a percolator? LOL! After having a variety of machines throughout the years, we decided to try it, and we love it. My husband grinds beans every night and sets the timer for our coffee to come on before we rise around 6:00am. It is my favorite time, I look forward to that coffee so much. I have never had a yen for cold coffee (other than sneaking into the kitchen to drink leftovers from my parents cups when I was 5!) If I ever do try it, I'll try your recipe.

Marie Smith said...

It looks so good!

Gina said...

I have everything to make that and it sounds so good!!

Balvinder said...

It sounds good. Definitely adding this to my repertoire.