Thursday, April 6, 2023

Chocolate Mint Oreo Trifles

 
My initial plan was to make this as a dessert for St. Patrick’s Day, because it’s green. As usual, holidays just fly by, generally with me chasing after them, so it had come and gone before I even purchased a package of mint Oreos. But, because it’s spring, and everything is starting to turn green, I decided to make it and share it with my number one son and his family. I made a bit of a mistake by doing this. This serves four, and no more. I stretched this out to serve five, and that completely threw off the pudding-to-whipped-cream ratio. Don’t be tempted to do that; learn from my mistakes. This can be made up to 24 hours ahead of serving it, thanks to the stabilized whipped cream. If you prefer not to stabilize the whipped cream, as I have done here, you’re going to want to serve it fairly quickly.Chocolate Mint Oreo Trifles

Adapted from The Slow Roasted Italian

12 Oreo Mint Cookies, chopped

1 3.9-oz. pkg. Instant JELL-O Chocolate Pudding

2 c. whole milk

2 c. heavy whipping cream

2 t. unflavored gelatin (Knox recommended)

½ c. powdered sugar

1½ t. peppermint extract

6-8 drops green food coloring

20 Andes Mints, chopped

In a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat  pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes until thickened. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Into a small bowl or ramekin, place 8 teaspoons of cold water. Sprinkle gelatin on top, and let it set on the counter until firm. Meanwhile whip heavy cream with an electric mixer. Start the mixer on low while you put the ramekin with the water and gel mixture into the microwave for 10 seconds to melt. As the cream is whipping, slowly add the melted gel mixture. Add powdered sugar, food coloring, and peppermint extract. Increase speed to high and whip cream until stiff peaks form. You have just stabilized your rib cream, so that it won’t collapse on itself while your trifles are in the refrigerator waiting to be served.

 To assemble: Add 1/4 of the Oreos to the bottom of each of the four individual trifle dishes. Spoon 1/4 of pudding directly on top of Oreos. Reserve a tablespoon of chopped mints. Add ¼ of remaining mints to trifle, directly on top of pudding. Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with reserved mints. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with an Andes mint, if desired.

Serves 4.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Donna said...

Looks delicious!
hugs
Donna

Linda said...

I love mint and chocolate and this looks delicious. I bet everyone loved it! Great tip about stabilizing the whipped cream - I had mine collapse on me a few years ago - kind of embarrassing!

Marie Smith said...

What a lovely dessert! Yum!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Oh my! This dessert looks amazing. I could dig right in! Yum.