Monday, April 3, 2023

Stuffed Portobellos

 I am a lover of mushrooms. I always thought everyone loved mushrooms until a friend of mine told me she couldn’t stand them because, "They just lie on my tongue, and my teeth won’t chew them."
I thought that was so funny, but she honestly felt that way. I love all kinds of mushrooms, but I particularly love the versatility of portobellos. They make such a wonderful main dish, and with their beefy taste, you won’t even miss the meat. This delicious recipe is the result of my cleaning out the fridge, believe it or not. I had a little bit of cottage cheese left over from the Beef & Noodle Bake, some fresh spinach threatening to go bad, as well as half of a jar of marinated artichoke hearts. I combined all of this, along with one of my favorite ingredients, fire roasted red bell peppers, and cheese (Can you ever go wrong adding cheese to anything?), and came up with this delicious recipe. If you cut it in quarters, it’s a wonderful appetizer; two make a hearty meal, and one, a nice side. No matter how you decide to serve yours, it will be very well received.

Stuffed Portobellos

4 large Melissa’s portobello mushrooms

1 T. olive oil

½ c. chopped onion

1 T. Melissa’s minced garlic

½ c. chopped marinated artichoke hearts

2 handfuls baby spinach, chopped

¼ c. chopped Melissa’s roasted red peppers

¼ c. cottage cheese

¼ t. kosher salt

¼ t. freshly ground pepper

1 t. Frank’s hot sauce

1/3 c. Italian breadcrumbs

½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

 Preheat oven to 400°F.

Carefully remove stems and gills from mushrooms. Reserve and chop the stems for the stuffing; set aside. Place the mushrooms stem side down onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them. Remove from the oven and drain paper towels; set aside. 

In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and chopped steams, and sauté for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, artichoke hearts, spinach, and red peppers to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes, until the spinach wilts. Stir in cottage, cheese, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and breadcrumbs, and cook until heated through.

 Use an ice cream scoop to scoop up the stuffing, and divide equally among the mushrooms. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

Donna said...

Just One would fill me up! Yum!
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

This looks and sounds like one of those easy use-it-up dinners and I do love mushrooms! I've been trying to add more fresh ones to my mealplan in place of meat.

Marie Smith said...

I couldn’t agree with you more about mushrooms. We love portobellos too but we can’t always get them here. We spoke of the. Last week and are looking forward to them when are back in our stores. This recipe will do nicely, thank you!

Lori said...

I love mushrooms and these look delicious.

Linda said...

They look like steaks - yum!