Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Layered Taco Casserole

 
I don’t know about you, but I never get tired of Mexican food. That’s not to say that this layered casserole is Mexican, but it’s what we have Americans consider to be Mexican, so I’m just going to go with that. The beauty of a casserole is that you can change it up to suit your tastes in any way that you like. If there are ingredients that you would like to add, feel free to do so. Had I had a small can of green chilies on hand, I would have stirred them into the refried beans. Instead, I added some sliced jalapeños to the beef along with the corn. This is one of those dishes that is pure comfort. It makes a decent amount, particularly if there are just one or two of you, but it freezes beautifully. I filled individual au gratin dishes with single servings, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and put them into the freezer in Ziploc freezer bags so that I can enjoy them at some point in the future…probably with a margarita.

Layered Taco Casserole
 Adapted from aboutamom.com


1 lb. ground beef
1 1.25-oz. pkg. taco seasoning

1 c. frozen corn

¼ - ½ c. sliced Melissa’s pickled jalapeños 
1 15-oz. can refried beans
2 c. Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 c.
salsa
2 green onions, chopped
1 2.25-oz. can
sliced black olives
1 tomato, chopped
2 cups corn chips (coarsely crushed)

 Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray the bottom of an 8” x 8” casserole dish with PAM. Place crushed corn chips into the bottom of casserole dish; set aside.

 Heat refried beans on stove until hot. Add 1 cup cheese and 1 cup salsa. Stir until combined. Spread beans over corn chips in dish.

 In a 10" skillet, brown ground beef; drain off any excess fat. Add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions. Stir in the frozen corn and jalapeños. Place beef/corn/jalapeno mixture on top of beans. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Sprinkle black olives and green onions over cheese.

 Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is sufficiently melted.

 Remove from oven and sprinkle chopped tomatoes on top. Allow to cool a couple of minutes before serving. Nice when served over a bed of shredded lettuce with sour cream and guacamole on the side.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Looks so good! We had nachos last week so it will be a while before we will try this!

Gina said...

I love recipes like this that you can adjust based on what you have. Have you ever heard of "totchos"? Like nachos, but with tater tots. I bet you could serve this over those, too. YUM. Might have to put refrieds on my grocery list!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

When I ate cheese, I used to love this kind of meal (without the beef). Looks so delicious .