Monday, August 5, 2024

Asparagus and Pea Casserole

  

This is a retro recipe, as it is a casserole from the 70s. It is one my mother used to make, and everyone quite enjoyed it. Because it’s from the 70s, it contains the trifecta of things that are bad for you: canned vegetables, condensed soup, and Velveeta cheese. Despite this, it’s tasty, freezes and reheats beautifully, and makes a nice addition to any buffet. And, let’s face facts, with all of the mercury in fish, the toxins in the air, the poisons sprayed on fresh vegetables to act as a retardant, it’s not the condensed soup or the Velveeta cheese that is going to take you out. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy.

Asparagus and Pea Casserole

1 15-oz. can Del Monte asparagus, well drained

1 15-oz. can Le Sueur Very Young Small Sweet Peas, well drained

1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, well drained 

1 10.5-oz. can cream of mushroom soup

½ soup can of milk

  About ½ loaf bread,* crust removed, cut into thirds

Velveeta cheese

 4 T. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350° F.

 Spray a 9” x 13” casserole with PAM. Layer asparagus, peas, and water chestnuts. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Whisk together soup and milk, and spread over vegetables. Cover with 1/4” thick slices of Velveeta cheese. Dip cut bread pieces into melted butter and place on top of cheese. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until bread is nicely toasted.

I used Aldi’s Seedtastic bread because that’s what I had on hand, but I think the bread of choice here is good old Wonder bread.

  As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my this looks wonderful! This looks like something Mom and I would have absolutely loved. She used to buy those cans of asparagus (she called it aspara-grus) and made casseroles too. I love everything about this. That Seedtastic bread looks delicious.

Marie Smith said...

My husband would enjoy any recipe with Velveeta and can soup! He’d love this!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Our food situation is really scary. Who knows what to eat anymore. Well, my mom used to make something similar. Canned peas were a staple in my house as was cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup! We loved them..

thepaintedapron.com said...

I'm a big fan of cream soup and Velvetta cheese, so count me in!
Jenna