Thursday, August 8, 2024

Portobello Onion Dip

 
I am a big fan of portobello mushrooms, and, as a consequence, I’m always trying to find new ways in which to use them. Last month you saw my Portobello Mushroom Broth as well as my creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup. This month, I’m offering up a wonderful appetizer, snack, or starter in this portobello mushroom dip. It is complex and sophisticated, but easy to make, and because it gets better with age, it is definitely make ahead. Serve with chips, crackers, or crudités, just try not to eat it with a spoon, because once you start, there’s no stopping. It is that good.
Portobello Onion Dip

1 T. olive oil

2 T. butter

2 lg. Melissa’s portobello mushrooms, minced

½ large Melissa’s sweet onion, minced

½ t. Melissa’s minced garlic

¼ t. kosher salt

A sprig of Melissa’s fresh thyme*

4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

½ c. sour cream

1½ T. dry onion dip mix

Freshly ground black pepper

 Melt oil and butter together in a 10” skillet over medium heat. Add the minced mushrooms and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally until the water has been released. Stir in garlic, salt, and thyme. Continue cooking until the mixture has reduced and the water has evaporated. Set aside to cool. Discard the thyme sprig.

 In a medium mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and sour cream until well blended. Stir in the mushroom mixture, onion soup mix, and a few gratings of freshly ground black pepper.

 Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours, or more ideally overnight. Serve with chips, crackers, or crudités.

 *¼ t. dried thyme leaves can be substituted for fresh

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Oooo Pattie, that DOES look good! I still love the classic Lipton soup onion dip, so the touch of fresh thyme and the cream cheese would just take it over the top for me.

Marie Smith said...

This looks so yummy! I may have to give in and try it as I have been craving a creamy dip.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What could be bad with sour cream and cream cheese? I'm sure the onion mix an Portobello mushrooms are an amazing duo!!