Friday, August 16, 2024

What have I done???

 

Photo: Stone Trends, LLC

 If you’ve seen a drawing like this, then you know what’s going on at my house. After 12 years of living here with an existing laminate/Formica/whatever the heck it is countertop that, over the years, has begun to look horrible, I am getting a new one. Cambria. This is no easy task. First of all, I have an open floor plant. I love my open floor plan, but what this means is that all of the colors need to coordinate in the three rooms, otherwise it’s going to be like a dissonant chord.  Second, it’s really impossible to know, despite your research, if you’re really going to like what’s on your countertop once it’s in place, and these things aren’t cheap.

Photo: Amazon

I chose this Houzer stainless steel undermount workstation sink with dual platform kitchen accessories.

Photo: Amazon
  

I chose this Kraus stainless steel faucet because, crime show lover that I am, it reminded me of those I’ve seen in pathology labs. Heh heh.

I wanted a dark countertop. I like things that are moody, evocative, and exotic. My style in the three rooms is a sort of global bohemian in neutral shades.  You do not, by the way, have to have nothing but bold colors in order to be bohemian. That’s a misnomer. So when I went to look for countertops, I was surprised at how few of them are dark. I had only found four different patterns that were dark, however, a number of them were way too dark, one ended up looking almost solid black, the other was dark black with white feathery streaks in it, and the other was just mottled black, none of them would do. Then I happened upon this one.

Photo: Stone Trends, LLC

Now in the sample, it looks to be exactly what I wanted. It’s described as:

"Earthy hues of rich browns, warm tans, and deep blacks create a canvas of captivating contrasts. A grand statement is made complete with hints of white and a veil of gold glimmer adding to the sophisticated charm."

So, this is what I ordered. Oh, the power of words! However, in rummaging around on the Internet (like you do), I came across the Cambria website and saw this pattern on a full countertop and it definitely gave me pause.

Photo: Cambria USA

Oh, dear. This is bold, isn’t it? Welp, I’ve done it now. Money has been spent, measurements have been taken, and in eight working days, that’s going to be in my kitchen. Part of me is very excited; the other part of me is scared to death.  I have a milestone birthday coming up this year, so I decided to treat myself to this countertop in celebration. I’ll show you before and after pictures once the deed is done, and you can decide whether I made the right decision or not.

  To give you an idea as to what I’m working with here, here is a picture of my kitchen before my builder, Joe, had an opportunity to work his magic on it.

Photo Joe Rogers

Here is an updated version after Joe had made a few changes.


 
Photo Joe Rogers

What do you think? Big mistake? Perfect choice? Or, suck it up, girl, and learn to live with it?

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love what you have done so far and look forward to the end result!

Linda said...

So you ordered the one in the first photo, right? I love darker granite and that one is beautiful! Joe appears to be a genius. I look forward to seeing the results. Is Stanley friends with Joe?

The sellers of our house "updated" the kitchen before they put it on the market and put ugly builder-grade granite in the kitchen. I'm not one to get rid of brand new stuff, so we are living with it for now. We did paint the kitchen cabinets white, so they will be ready for the dark granite at some point.
However we did upgrade our bathrooms with dark granite and painted those cabinets white. I never tire of looking at it. The granite is what I would call a "soft" black with the most gorgeous streaks of cream and coffee, and it looks amazing with white cabinets.

Linda said...

I love the sink and faucet too!!

Donna said...

Everything is just Gorgeous!! I know you are excited to get things finished! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen...
hugs
Donna

Lana said...

I think you will love it. I went black slate on my dark walnut cabinets a number of years ago and still love them. I had nightmares for weeks until they were installed!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That sounds very cool, Lana. I would love to see a picture of that.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I’m a little nervous, but what’s done is done. I’m sure I will learn to love it. I think I will learn to love it. I’ll probably probably learn to love it. I may have to move.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

The first one and the second one are both the same. That’s why I’m questioning my choice. There’s no turning back now, so I’ll either love it, or I’ll have to move.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Oh yeah, I love both of those!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

It’s going to be a while because I need to choose tile for the backsplash, and then get my builder, Joe, to find time in his schedule to put it in. Stay tuned!

Gina said...

It looks like you put a lot of thought into it and the ideas are very cool! I always feel nervous at the start of such a project - what if I get it WRONG?! Ha! What if you get it right and LOVE it? You will be very proud and happy, is what. (: