Monday, August 19, 2024

Portobello Mushroom Parmesan

 

The late Mr. O-P was quite the accomplished chef. He had a number of specialties — a couple of salmon dishes, his lasagna (that, I am not kidding, took him three days to make), and eggplant Parmesan. I can eat a lot of things, but eggplant is something I simply cannot abide. To me, it tastes like dirt. Not that I know what dirt tastes like, you understand, but eggplant tastes like what I imagine dirt would. Many of our friends would often request his eggplant Parmesan, and I went along with it, just surreptitiously scooting the eggplant out from beneath the “Parmesan” and devouring that like a fiend.

I recently spotted a recipe for Portobello Parmesan that really blew my skirt up, because, as you all know, I love portobello mushrooms.* This one I found on Instagram and is by Daniel Mancini. I have made my changes to this adding Italian seasoning, Italian breadcrumbs, and I think it’s excellent. I had it for breakfast this morning, and thought it was really good. It is also super simple to put together, so it would make an excellent lunch, or last minute meal on a day when you’re particularly busy.

Portobello Mushroom Parmesan

1
Melissa’s portobello mushroom
Extra-virgin olive oil
Fine salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ t.
Melissa’s minced garlic
Your favorite marinara sauce (I used Rao), warmed
Sprinkle of
Italian seasoning
Italian breadcrumbs
Hand shredded mozzarella cheese

 Preheat oven to 350° F.

Wash the portobello mushroom (or mushrooms, depending upon how many you’re going to use) remove the stem, and clean out all of the gills. Pat dry, and place open end down on a baking sheet lined with
parchment paper or a Silpat. Drizzle olive oil over the top, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and minced garlic, spreading it around to coat.

 Place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, invert, and fill the crevice(s) with marinara sauce, a sprinkling of Italian seasoning, a sprinkling of Italian breadcrumbs, and then mound mozzarella cheese over the top. At this point, I gave it yet another sprinkle of Italian breadcrumbs. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes is hot and bubbly.

​*Portobello Mushroom Broth

Portobello Mushroom Soup

Portobello Onion Dip

Portobello Mushroom Sauce with Thyme

 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I’m with you about eggplant!

This looks delicious and is so simple! Yum!

thepaintedapron.com said...

This sounds amazing Pattie!! So easy too!
Jenna

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

When I used to eat dairy, I loved anything parmesan . This recipe looks delicious . It's funny the only other person that I've heard say a vegetable tastes like dirt is my husband. But he can't tolerate beets- he says they taste like dirt!! Lol

Balvinder said...

Now that sounds like a recipe that I would love.