Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mini Chocolate Sandwich Cookies


A hundred years ago this past week the Oreo cookie was born.  I think I grew up on these cookies (which certainly explains my hips); I don’t think I ever ate one without breaking it apart.  In honor of Nabisco and the iconic Oreo, here is a recipe for an Oreo-type cookie that you can make at home. It comes from one of the delightful "small batch" books by Debby Maugans.  If you've not treated yourself to the experience of her tasty treats that whip up in no time and in a batch small enough to finish off in one sitting without feeling guilty, then you are seriously missing out.  Click the link and check them out.  I've yet to have tried anything (these cookies included) that haven't been delicious.


Mini Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
From Small-Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers by Debby Maugans

 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg yolk
1 ounce fine-quality semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
Vanilla cream filling (recipe follows)

Position a rack in the center of oven and preheat to 375 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.  Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, and whisk to blend.  Place the sugar, butter, and egg yolk in a small deep mixing bowl; beat with a handheld electric mixer on low speed until blended, about 20 seconds.  Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 20 seconds.  Beat in the melted, cooled chocolate.  Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat just until the dough is blended, 15-20 seconds.  Portion and roll the dough in your hands to form 24 equal-size balls, and place them on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1-1/2 inches apart.  Press the cookies to flatten them using the bottom of a buttered and sugared drinking glass.  Bake the cookies until they are firm, 8-10 minutes.  Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.  Sandwich two cookies together with vanilla cream filling.

Makes 12 sandwich cookies

Vanilla Cream Filling

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening, or unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon heavy (whipping) cream, milk, or water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

Place the butter, shortening, cream, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl and mix with a fork until a soft, smooth paste forms.  Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until the filling is well blended and smooth.  Cover and refrigerate the filling until firm enough to spread, about 15 minutes.

NOTE: To make larger sandwich cookies, form the dough into 14 balls; press and bake 10-12 minutes and fill the cookies as directed.

Makes about 1/4 cup
This post is linked to:

2 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday to a cookie that has found memories of my girls' childhoods. I don't think I've bought any since they left home! I love home baked goodies like these so much better.

~~louise~~ said...

They look so delicious Pattie! I just opened a box of Girl Scout Thin Mints and I must say, I was a bit disappointed. Back to the Oreos!

Thanks for sharing...

BTW A little while ago I joined Pinterest. I'm not sure how it works but I came right over so you could be the very first (and only) person I follow! I just knew you would show gorgeous and mouthwatering pins:) Thanks!